Wireless headache....

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by bob667, Dec 27, 2005.

1. bob667

bob667 Nibble Poster

Ok, here's the gist of it. Wireless connection says it's connected, excellent signal etc. but no packets being sent or received. Also, cannot ping the router, have tried automatic and manual config. of IP and DNS and reinstalling the dongle's driver etc. Oh and it was working fine up until a month or so ago, really can't say what happened to screw things up unfortunately. Thanks for the help in advance guys n gals :biggrin

Certifications: None!
    WIP: A+, 70-270
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

What firewall(s) you got running there, bob ?

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. bob667

bob667 Nibble Poster

Oh yeah, panda platinum was one and it seemed as if the xp firewall was on as well but that shouldnt be possible should it?
    And both are off now :biggrin

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Anything's possible with Windows !! :rolleyes:

Also, is the situation the same ? The first and most important tool we have when diagnosing a problem for someone is full information from you. What have you tried since disabling both firewalls, and what is happening now ? Any changes, or all the same ?

5. bob667

bob667 Nibble Poster

All the same, seems as if it's all setup properly but then can't find the router or any of the other systems

6. bob667

bob667 Nibble Poster

I haven't tried reinstalling after switching the firewalls off, would that help do you think?

7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Reboot the router, and any PCs attached, and let us know what IP addresses they all have. Is the router using encryption, and if so, are the PCs set to use the correct values to connect to it ?

8. bob667

bob667 Nibble Poster

Ok, i'll get on that after work tomorrow and let you know the results. Thanks mate, keep your fingers crossed for me :unsure :eek: :lol:

9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

The main factor i have found when it comes to getting wireless to configure initially is to knock off the encryption if you can ping the gateway that is...

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, what Boyce and Jak said.

Can you get into the router (I assume it has a web interface) and disable any encryption that may be getting used? You will have to use good old Ethernet to get in for now.

After that reboot the router, disconnect the laptop and then reboot it. Also disable any software firewalls for now.

Make sure you don’t have any static I.Ps in your TCP\IP settings for your wireless connection and then open a command prompt and try pinging the router. If it still doesn’t work do an ipconfig /all and post the info here.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

A few more questions...

What is your set up?

Can any other wireless equipment connect or is this problem limited to one PC only?

Is your router also the WAP (wireless access point) and what make and model is it?

Are you able to get connectivity if you connect to the router via a patch cable?

Can you ping the router when you are connected via a patch cable?

Have you set your wireless adapter to Infrastructure mode?

The more info you give us the easier it is for us to help you.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. bob667

bob667 Nibble Poster

Got it sorted everybody. Tried the dongle on an old desktop and it worked fine, so I then had a hunch that it was maybe a firewall conflict so got rid of the security suite, works perfectly now :biggrin