wireless connection dramas

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by moominboy, Oct 13, 2005.

1. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

every so often, my wireless connection seems to have a wee fit and stop working properly.

when i boot in the morning all is fine, lets me on, blah blah blah.

then the wife tries to go on in her account, nope, no luck.ive told her to try a few times then reboot which she does and hey presto its back!

the error message is "cannot connect to remote server" , and i use opera so have a few bookmarks at the top and try to cycle thru them to sort of jump start the connection. which hardly ever works but when it does it's only tech-unity and then sometimes loads up other pages but rarely.

as i said a re-boot normally does the trick but not always

i realise this is a bit longwinded so if anyone needs clarifying please ask!

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  2. snoopy51

snoopy51 Bit Poster

Are you running XP/SP2?

If so, and you are controlling your wireless connection using MS's Wireless configuration, you can simply do a repair!

This is a common problem if you have a laptop and went into hiberation!

Certifications: MCSE (2K, 2K3), MCDBA, IBM CP, LPIC-1
    WIP: LPIC-2
  3. moominboy

indeed i am, have repaired although windows says its fine, and sometimes the repair hangs on acquiring network address for about 10-15 mins.

maybe something in that?

how can i check if dhcp is active on my system or router? could that be it maybe?

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

When you look for available networks, what do you see? Sounds like another nearby wireless network is causing a problem. Go into the list and delete all network names except for your own. I had this problem and that was the solution. Now I connect and stay connected just fine.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. snoopy51

snoopy51 Bit Poster

There are many possible explanations to your problem!

One possible scenario is you have adware in your machine and trying to connect a remote server. Does she experience this on a particular web sites or can she continue to work or just annoying messages from Opera?

We need more info here!

Certifications: MCSE (2K, 2K3), MCDBA, IBM CP, LPIC-1
    WIP: LPIC-2
  6. moominboy

well trip, when i first set up the network, i did have my own and another but that disappeared and i haven't seen it since, so mine is the only one. and it does say its connected with excellent-very good connectivity all the time.

snoop, it happens when the browser tries to load the home page, my case cf (geek!) hers is yahoo, i use opera, she uses ie.

btw, when this happens i try ie, opera and firefox all with the same problem and i have zone alarm so that would tell me if it was something dodgy trying to connect.

ive tried everything i can think of, emptied cache, temp files etc for all browsers, done all my "housework" on the pc, nothing came up.

7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

this one of the reasons why I dont use wireless and wont go down that route until they sort out problems like this...I remember asking someone who knew alot about networking whether to go wireless or wired and without hesitation they said wired...since then I aint looked back...but I do hope u get it sorted mate...they can be a pain at times...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Are you using the wireless utility that came with the wireless adapter or are you using XPs built in feature?

Whichever one you are using, try using the other one :blink

I have solved a few connectivity issues by doing this!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

nice to know your connection can distinguish a quality site...LOL

:D :biggrin :blink

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  10. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Yep...seen that before as well...also a recent patchfest can cause problems with adaptors as well.

Try snoopy51's suggestion..as I have this happen before as well.

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  11. moominboy

i have a netgear router which i can't seem to get into since the initial setup, i also have a d-link usb which follows xp's guidelines and a netgear usb which does it's own program to sort it.

currently using the d-link on this pc, and i really can't remember if it happened upstairs because ive had linux on for a while and haven't found a driver for them "yet".

but it does happen with both downstairs.

yeah noel i know wired is better but the way my house is set up all data points ie, sky, phone , broadband etc, come from the same corner in my livingroom so i'd rather not have everything lumped over there. :tongue

ps. jut opened up a new tab-fine, yahoo-fine, login-fine, inbox? cannot connect to remote server! and now ive tried 3 other tabs and no joy, so something must've changed in the past 5 minutes.

12. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Can you describe exactly how you connect to the internet, i.e. modem > Router > PC.

I'm a little confused. :rolleyes:

13. moominboy

ok si,from my pc i have the d-link adapter in a usb cradle, then about 18 feet away have the router on top of my ntl modem linked by ether cable.

in regards to blurinse, the cd that came with the d-link only had drivers on it not it's own connection program , unlike the netgear which does its own thang.

and supag33k
    lol! :tongue

14. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

From your computer can you ping the router ok? (most probably 192.168.0.1, if it is acting as a DHCP Server)

Do you have any encryption applied to the wireless network. if so take it off and see what happens.

15. moominboy

ping the router ok, you can't ping the pinger (so to speak) can you?

just to make sure.

have no encryption, i was playing with wep last night but that just disconnects whereas here, it still says connected just takes ages, about 25-30 secs, to say can't connect.

but when it's not connected it's instant.

16. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

By ping the pinger do you mean ping your own PC? To do this simply ping 127.0.0.1
    This is known as the loopback address, however as you can already ping past your networks card by pinging the router there seems no point.

Have you tried the latest drivers for the network card?
    Do you have another card that you could plug in to your PC to try?

17. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

I would personally start by trying your computer with just the the Broadband modem connected.

If this is stable then try connecting your router with with an ethernet cable.

Then if this is stable then you can start troubleshooting your wireless connectivity.

Make sure there is no other interference, cordless phone etc.

Neall

18. moominboy

no i haven't and yes i do! will get straight into it.

do you meant pc-router-modem via ethernet?

ok, i'll try it, and i do have a cordless phone but when the phone goes the connection doesn't change, that i've noticed.

seems a bit more random, but i'll try your suggestions folks and get back to you. :tongue

19. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

I meant PC-Modem first.

Then try PC-Router-Modem with an ethernet cable.

Miss out the wireless conectivity completely at the start.

Start simple and gradually add more devices.

Its easier to troubleshoot.

Neall

20. welshwizzard

welshwizzard New Member

Try disabling any firewall software you might be running in the background. Had a similar problem myself recently - Had to reconfigure the software permissions in the firewall configuration facility.

Good luck