Wireless ADSL routers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Baba O'Riley, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Can anyone recommend a good one? Everytime I see one that catches my eye I find as many bad reviews as I do good.

The one thing I'm pretty sure is a decent product is the Linksys WRT54GS. Unfortunately, it isn't an ADSL modem so it then becomes a question of buying a new ethernet ADSL modem as mine is USB and I don't really want to use ICS.

So, questions are

1. What Wi-Fi ADSL router would anyone recommend?

2. Would anyone recommend the Linksys WRT54GS?

3. If the answer to Q2 is yes, what ADSL modem would anyone recommend?

Please help as my head is quite close to exploding :brancard .
    Thanks

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

have u checked www.adslguide.org.uk? they have some good reviews usually

and are a pretty trusted source

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Linksys are a good make. I have a Linksys Wireless AP (Can't remember what model as I'm typing this at work) and can highly recommend it. Don't be tempted to buy a cheap all in one as I have a Orico ADSL Router/Hub/Wireless AP and the wireless on it is crap so I use my Linksys to boost the signal. Try Ebuyer as they are usually cheap and have a good selection with user reviews.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Baba,

I have a Linksys WAG54G Wireless ADSL gateway.
    It has been very reliable from day 1. The only thing I would say is that it looses wireless connectivity now and again when the encryption is set to WPA. In fairness this could be due to interference or even a Centrino issuse. If you leave it on WEP it NEVER drops a connection!
    It also has good configurability.
    I can also comment on Linksys technical support as being what I find exceptional :D They reply to your mail normally the same day (don't forget they are 5 hours behind us if mailing them first thing in the morning) and also have a brilliant Java based help desk where you can ask for help as you are going through the problem. :D

Linksys get the thumbs up from me.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

if you leave it on WEP the connection drops YOU!

6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

:biggrin
    I know WEP isn't half as secure as WPA but surely it is secure enough for general use :rolleyes:

7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

depends what u deem secure :)
    if you mean, could someone steal all ur data, probably not with some decent NTFS permissions, but if you mean, could someone piggyback my conn and browse questionable material landing me in the dock, then sure :)

I personally have my wireless APs connect to a second DMZ with no internet routing and then establish a VPN conn to my internal network (which does have internet routing) thus protecting all possibilities

however im looking to deploy a second wireless network for a wireless voip phone but havnt worked out how to secure it properly yet :/

ps:// yes, im an uber geek, and yes, im damn proud of it, get over it :)

8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

It seems that a lot of wireless set-up's drop the connection when set-up with WPA.

The wireless access is restricted to the MAC address of my laptop and the SSID broadcast is disabled. I know that someone could intercept the data from my laptop but is the security that weak on WEP that it is worth the "dropping" I would have to put up with for WPA?

9. Baba O'Riley

Plenty of food for thought here. Thanks everyone. As for checking adslguide and any other site for that matter, the problem is you have to trawl through every review. Are there any websites that just say "This is the best product we've ever seen"? If there is I've yet to find it.

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Yup, lets see ...

The Netgear homepage,
    The Linksys homepage,
    The D-link homepage,......

Sorry, it's the weekend ... :oops:

:biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. Baba O'Riley

:lol: Thanks Jakamoko, but I was hoping for some slightly more impartial websites.

12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Hi Baba,

You might want to have a look here
    I use them quite a lot. They have a wizard which recommends devices to your needs and are competitively priced.

Let us know what you decide.

Regards

13. Baba O'Riley

Don't know about anyone else but this looks like a good bargain.

I'm thinking about the package with the Belkin pre-N router, PCI card and a D-Link ADSL modem for £130 inc. VAT. I've heard a lot of good things about Belkin and despite D-Link getting a bad press, we use D-Link equipment at work and we never get problems with them (that are not caused by the people using it anyway)!

Any thoughts are welcome.

14. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

I don't know if it's stil the case nowadays, Baba, but about 18 months ago in my last place, we had a user who's D-link modem wouldn't work with his Linksys router. After finally convincing the guy to speak to D-link tech support, he sheepishly came back and said that D-link themselves stated that their modems would only work with their routers !

I don't know, and surely cant imagine that this is still the case, but I'd rather mention it now, than see you get shafted without looking into it further. Sorry, m8 :oops:

15. Baba O'Riley

Interesting...

Maybe I'll drop the suppliers a line.

Thanks

16. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

No worries- hopefully it's an issue of the past, but I'd rather mention it than not...

17. Baba O'Riley

I found this on the D-Link website:

"Is the D-Link modem compatible with cable modem equipment from other manufacturers?

Yes. All D-Link cable modems are now built to comply with the Data-Over-Cable-System-Interface-Specification (DOCSIS) standard or Euro-DOCSIS standard. In fact, D-Link received its first Cable Labs Certification in July 2000. D-Link was one of the first few companies to receive this certification, which indicates that the cable modem fully complies with the DOCSIS standard after passing an extensive battery of compliance tests."

Presumably, by "cable modem equipment" they mean routers etc.

18. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Nice work, Baba - looks like they addressed that issue then. :)

19. Baba O'Riley

Got this email from the suppliers re. the D-Link ADSL Modem:

"The DSL-300T has a standard Ethernet port and as such works with any other device that supports Ethernet. I am not aware of any restriction of use regarding only working with other D-Link products.

The package has been fully tested and in use for over 6 months.

Hope that helps"

Although I'm sure the package has been tested and works, I think the assumption that it has an ethernet port so it must be compatible is a little misguided. You can stick an ethernet port in my dogs ear but I'm quite sure it won't network with Windows XP all that well.

20. stupot

stupot Bit Poster

I've just bought the - Linksys WAG354G 54Mb Wireless-G ADSL Router - from http://www.rlsupplies.co.uk

went on linksys website seems a pretty good router, built in firewall, WPA encryption

will let you know how it performs, should be arriving tomorrow

Certifications: Cisco IT essentials I
    WIP: CCNA, N+