Wireless ADSL Router Recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mojorisin, Sep 14, 2006.

1. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Hi guys

looking for some help i currently have a Belkin F5D7630-4A ADSL modem wireless router that will drop my connection whenever it feels like it seems to be getting worse

its shows sync and looks ok but cant find any websites until you reboot it

After searching on the web is seems this model suffers from overheating as the base plate is the heatsink !!!!

so what do you guys recommend ?

cheers
    mick

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Is the connection problem for wired, wireless or both?

My latest purchase (last year) was a Zyxel 660HW. So far, it has worked faultlessly. Can't give you the link, as they don't make it anymore. You can check out there other products at;
    http://www.zyxel.co.uk

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

it goes for both just random dropouts seems to be getting worse

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  4. Morne Louw

Morne Louw Byte Poster

mine was doing that for a bit but seems to have calmed down a bit only does it once a month now havent found a solution yet

Certifications: ECDL, OCN Level 2 HTML, A+,MCDST,70-270
    WIP: MCSA/MCSE
  5. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

Hi

Any consumer / SOHO wireless router will have its share of anecdotal evidence of being crap / wonderful. Most consistently good reviews I've seen are for the linksys range using downloaded improved firmware. The most consistently bad have been for, well, Belkin :rolleyes:

I have a D-Link dsl model I have seen the most appalling reviews of, but it has worked well for me for two years, with only two re-boots needed that weren't a consequence of line failure (i.e. blame bt not the router...).

Also, there are other issues that affect connectivity - like interference. Have you tried using different channels? Any firmware upgrades available - I've seen reports that this can be significant for your model?

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+