Wireless Access Point and the OSI Model

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by tripwire45, Mar 18, 2005.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Ok, I'm stumped on this one. I've been up and down the web but can't find a definitive answer to this question. Is a wireless access point a layer 1 or layer 2 device in the OSI reference model? I've seen sites that go either way. It seems like it would layer 2 in terms of access control but of course, radio waves as a medium would be layer 1. If a WAP is as simple as a hub, then it would really be layer 1. I'm confused. Does anyone know the definate answer including references to support it? Thanks. :oops:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I think I found the answer but it's not very straight forward. Apparently, at the antenna end of the AP, the device is layer 1 since radio waves are part of the electromagnetic scale. At the Ethernet end, because the AP processes information (rather than just passing it through like a hub) such as WEP, MAC address filtering, and SSID broadcasts, it functions as a layer 2 device.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. arvy

arvy Bit Poster

Certifications: compTIA A+, MCP 70-270
    WIP: MCSE