wired/wireless woes

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by moominboy, Sep 11, 2005.

1. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

hi all. just a few questions about the network im trying to set up. recently bought a netgear wireless 3 in 1 box and a usb w/less adapter which is now attached and workin hunky dory. but until i can afford another adapter im trying to set up second pc via ethernet thru the router.

do i need a x-over cable for pc-router or would a normal one do?

how do i manually configure ip/subnet addresses?

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  2. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

A normal patch lead should be fine for your needs.

Your router will most likely use DHCP and will assign the IP info automatically to the PC that is hard wired to the routers port. If this is not what you want then you'll have to assign a static IP address with other info on the TCP/IP settings of the PC's network adapter in Windows. You'll have to use the router's IP as the Default Gateway and the ISP's DNS settings too! Make sure the IP you assign manually to the PC is on the same Class and subnet as the router...or else you won't be able to commnicate with the Internet or other PC's.

Now i'm gonna stop writing now as i'm not to sure how much info you want...

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  3. moominboy

as much info as possible ! i know a little more now about tcp/ip's. the client pc keeps saying it can't renew ip address as ive tried my isp's cd first . the last time i was stuck with just the wired side, i was told to use the same workgroup name for both pc's but if the network name was the same as the workgroup would that cause a conflict?

the client used to have an ibm token ring card but i took that out and am now using the mobo lan, should i swap them back? cheers mate.

4. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

The motherboard lan will be fine as long as the drivers are properly installed etc

Once everything is connected, run the windows network wizard on the computer.

This is the easiest way of doing things and should work fine. However depending on how you setup the previous computer and router you may need to configure things a little.

Test network connectivity by going to start-run type 'cmd' in the run box and hit enter.

Then try pinging the router, probably going to be 192.168.0.1. (type 'ping 192.168.0.1' at the prompt).

If sucessfull try pinging the other computer.
    Probably going to be either 192.168.0.2 or 192.168.0.3.
    If you get a response from all these computers your network is complete.

If you dont get a response or you do get a response but still cant access the internet try running the windows network wizard again on all computers and try again.

Neall

5. moominboy

weird but it's working fine now. i swapped the type of connections, ie, the client is now wireless and host wired but just one more quickie?

when i followed your instructions i did get 2 full ping replies but where in xp can i find that info for reference? cheers for the help folks. ;)

6. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

I think you mean ping.... if so, search for 'ping' in windows help. Or at the command prompt (start-run-cmd) type 'ping /?' and hit enter.

Neall

7. moominboy

i actually meant to say where could i find the ip info of host-client-router etc? but thanks for the ping switches info, i assume that "/?" works with a lot of cmd's?

8. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Yea will work with most commands.

On the computer you want the IP address of go to start-run-cmd and type 'ipconfig' at the command prompt.

Assuming your running Windows XP.

9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

You can also get a whole load more info by typing ipconfig /all

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  10. moominboy

really weird. was trying out different commands with the aid of a book. and even though i can see, share, change all the shared files on my other comp, the ping is getting returned "timed out". i just been and written down its ip address so i know its right. any ideas folks?

its not a problem as, like i said it all works fine, just curious.

11. drum_dude

XP's Firewall? Router's Firewall? One of those two, or both, maybe blocking ICMP (Ping) requests.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

That's probably it. Not being able to ping or tracert doesn't necessarily mean you have a connectivity problem. Just means that the port that allows echo (port 7 I think) is blocked by a firewall.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  13. drum_dude

Yes it is Port 7 Trip, shame on me...I had to go and look it up :oops:

14. moominboy

ah! gotcha. thanks guys