Winnt vs winnt32

Discussion in 'A+' started by Boycie, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Can someone clarify the difference :oops:
    Thanks!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

that ones easy, winnt is run from dos, winnt32 is run from within windows :)

as for the setup vs winnt one, err, its been a while, ill have to check, :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

It's always better to try and run winnt32.exe where possible. Installing the OS (whether it be clean or upgrade) is always going to be faster in a 32bit enviroment (Windows) as opposed to a 16bit enviroment (DOS)!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I agree to a point, however, shortly after setup starts, even when using the 32 bit setup, the proceedure will re-boot and start the install from a 16 bit non-windows environment. How else could you format the drive and re-partition it etc?

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Sorry Pete, I think I got that wrong! lol!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

My understanding is that if your computer already has an operating system and you either want to upgrade the OS to create a dual boot situation, you can boot your computer to the currently installed OS and use the executables found in the i386 folder in the installation CD to accomplish your task.

You would use winnt32.exe if from a 32-bit mode OS and use winnt.exe if installing from a 16-bit mode OS.

According to Microsoft: You can also. deploy the installation of Windows 2000 and the Windows 2000 hotfixes to your users' computers from a shared distribution folder on a network. During the standard installation process, Windows 2000 Setup (Winnt.exe or Winnt32.exe in unattended Setup mode) installs the operating system and applies the hotfixes.

Certifications: A+ and Network+