Problem Windows XP SP3 VLK default profile

Discussion in 'Software' started by Zainek, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Zainek

Zainek Nibble Poster

Hey guys,

maybe a bit tricky, but cient of mine has an XP build with no local policies. No GPO's either, no logical and tidy 2003 AD structure.

They want a standardised desktop background, standardised windows theme (basic), this is to be available to all users. Went to petri, other MVP's etc, got all the fluff about copying data to All users, but get nothing to work etc. any ideas

Thanks

Certifications: MCTS, ITILv3 F, MCTS, MBCS, MCITP:EA C&G
    WIP: CCA Xenapp 5.0 & VMWARE
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

You probably want a Mandatory Profile

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
    Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Zainek

Zainek Nibble Poster

Hi Zebulebu,

Mate problem is we're deploying this image on sales peoples laptops etc.
    Now with a mandatory profile, the major obstacle is that all local data will
    have to be in my docs and not on there desktops. as your prob aware the man prof is a big toilet that
    Flushes every time you log on or off. sales staff and others will cry if they loose the desktop where they file all
    their stuff.

If i could change everything and standardise it i would, but they dont want to change anything.

Regards,

Zaine

4. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Then you need to provide them with a business case for why they should, the equation for this one is fairly simple you just need to fill in the necessary numbers :)

Standardisation = Easier maintenance + eaiser DR + better more stable systems = cost savings and increased efficiency

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  5. Zainek

Zainek Nibble Poster

josiahb,

Lol it's not even an option.

They'd kill me.

6. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

For proposing another (more sensible) way of working? Seems like a fairly messed up place to work if you ask me!

7. Zainek

Zainek Nibble Poster

lol................

8. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

So they want a standard desktop profile, but you cant change or standardise anything?

Good luck with that one mate :)

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  9. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Hang on, shouldn't you be messing with the "Default User" and not the "All Users" Profile

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  10. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

If I was configuring an image for new machines (or reimaging existing) then yep that's what I'd do, configure the desktop as required then copy the profile to Default User and lock down display settings via GPO

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  11. Zainek

Zainek Nibble Poster

Vicky pollard says "yeah but"... no GPO's allowed and no standardisation , considering a hack and slash job at moment - like copying the image of said logo and renaming it to bliss, removing all themes and what ever else i can do - the themes one is gonna be a bit hard though

12. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Why are they so anti GPOs and standardisation?

13. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Ask Vicky what her answer is to logon scripts? Also say you do all this, whats stopping the user from changing it all back.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  14. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Do they not realise that all a GPO is is a series of registry changes? I suspect someone there doesn't have the first clue what they're talking about.

15. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

If scripts are an option then something like AutoIT would be your best bet but you would need to fire it somehow

Code:
    Dim $var1 = '"' & @WindowsDir & '\'
    Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & 'rundll32.exe Shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl desk,@Themes /Action:OpenTheme /File:' & $var1 & 'resources\themes\<INSERT THEME NAME>.theme"', "", @SW_HIDE)
    Send("{ENTER}")
    Exit

16. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I think the main thing to take away here is the idea that running a Windows network without using GPO's is like working with one arm tied behind your back, an interesting challenge but a bloody stupid thing to do every day :p

If you have the tools, use them.

I'm still interested to hear the justification behind this bizarre company policy.

17. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I'd take that analogy further. Running a windows network where you're expected to make everything look the same for every user and stay that way without using GPOs is like working with both arms tied behind your back, under water, with your feet encased in cement and your keyboard in a locked cage, behind a wall, 200 yards away.

18. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

"I'd like to travel from New York to London."

"Take a plane."

"Sorry, that's against my company's regulations."

"How about going by boat?"

"Sorry, I can't. I'd get seasick."

"Umm... you could hitch a ride on a rocket and parachute down..." :blink

"No - I'm afraid of heights. Besides, that's not very practical."

"Well... you could dig a hole straight through the earth until you come out the other side at your destination. If you don't like ANY of those suggestions... you simply can't get there from here." :rolleyes:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  19. Zainek

Zainek Nibble Poster

wow you hit the nail right on the head.
    Yeah it's no win really.

20. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Unless you can attack the route cause of the problem (a fear of best practice) your going to be onto a loser more or less every time with this lot, unless someone can manage to make them change their minds you could find it damaging your knowledge progression as you find your self getting more comfortable with cack handed workarounds than standard tool sets.

Either provide the business case and see what response you get or find something new and get out fast!

We even make use of GPOs here and we work with a support company who run everytime Microsoft is mentioned!