Windows XP Registry Hack....

Discussion in 'Software' started by Luddym, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hey guys,

I have a problem with a user using internet explorer.

I basically need a reg hack to be able to edit the Lan settings in the connections tab as at the moment they are greyed out and I am unable to make changes. I know I should be able to change the proxy setting via the actual registry, and usually I can, but this ones registry is a little odd.

Does anyone know the key I need to change to ungrey this out?

Thanks muchly in advance guys.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

How does the user connect? Dial-up or normal Ethernet connection?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Ethernet connection in a Domain. But we don't have group policy and generally do lock downs pretty much individually.

4. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

If you do not have the right to change something, it is done probably with a reason. Not going to tell you how to surpress your companies security features.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  5. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

LOL

Sorry Tinus....

I'm the 2nd line of support and I have a user who needs internet access.

The system, network and way things were done has been inherited from the last lot of admins and we are fire fighting to get things right. Until we get Group policy up and running we are continually trying to get things working...

The Proxy is installed in our network, but as yet we haven't configured it, so whenever it appears in the LAN settings we remove it. We can remove it via the registry, or by simply unticking the box. This user has no entry for the Proxy server, but does for the port. I can't find the key in the registry that applies this port number, so can't get rid of it and unfortunately the LAN settings are greyed out so I cannot remove it manually either.

It isn't like I am trying to circumnavigate things, I'm trying my best to find a solution for the end user. :cry:

6. BosonMichael

Proxy server?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. Tinus1959

You could make him poweruser.

8. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Yep, we have an ISA server installed on our network, but as yet it isn't configured, so if this or the old proxy settings appear in the LAN connections, we clear them so that the user can access the internet.

When the proxy settings in the LAN connections in internet explorer is clear, the users can access the internet in our setup.

I just cannot clear the port settings due to the proxy settings being greyed out, and I can't find anything regarding it in the registry. (Though the proxy server settings usually in the registry, they don't appear to be on this one.)

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Can you not make the user a local admin and make the changes?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. BosonMichael

That was going to be my suggestion. If that doesn't do it, you should check to make sure it's not getting caught up in any group policy, local or AD.

11. Tinus1959

If I recall correct group policies are not implemented.

12. BosonMichael

I read that... but you and I both know that people say one thing and what's actually in place when they double-check is often another. Not saying Luddy didn't check already... but most everything I've found online regarding a greyed-out LAN Settings box points to either local or AD group policy.

13. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Are you able to do a run-as on the internet options in the contol panel? If so do you see the area being un greyed out?

Its just that we also have certain policies that apply and the only way to go around that is run the application as yourself (administrator)

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA