Windows XP problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by rico2005, Jan 9, 2005.

1. rico2005

rico2005 Bit Poster

Hi everyone!

I'm new to these forums but having been visiting this website over the last few weeks, it looks like this site is full of very knowledgable and helpful members. I wonder if anyone has any ideas about this problem...?

My dad has Windows XP Pro on his PC. He ran a system restore the other day and when restarting the PC, Windows hung on startup. I suggested he try starting up in safe mode so he could try restoring to another point but it gets to a blue/grey screen with 'safe mode' written in each corner and goes no further than that. He's tried pretty much all the options from the startup options but still cannot get to safe mode.

I then suggested he reinstall XP. So he booted up with a Windows 98 boot disk, put in the XP CD and ran winnt.exe from DOS. Windows XP setup started but almost immediately came up with a message saying: "An internal error has occurred. Could not find a place for the swap file". The only option then was ok at which point he was returned to DOS.

He has a 60GB hard drive which is nowhere near full and as far as I know he hasn't edited his swap file settings (he wouldn't know how!). I've never encountered this message when trying to install XP over the top of itself - has anyone seen this or can anyone suggest any possible fixes???

Any suggestions much appreciated! Thanks for reading this!

Cheers,

Richard

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Richard,

Not something I've encountered either - poss a prob with trying to load the 98 boot disk onto a hard drive thats presumably formatted NTFS, and using the whole disk for the partition ?

I'd suggest boot to the XP disk itself, then follow the options as per a clean install, and choose the "Repair" option as opposed to a clean install.

Other than that, I personally wouldn't spend much more of my time on a prob like this - I'd flatten the drive, reinstall afresh, and restore my backups.

Because everyone keeps up-to-date backups of the important stuff, don't they ......... ??? :rolleyes:

Cheers m8 - let us know how you get on with this :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Has he logged on at all since the system restore or did it just hang before logging on? And the same with safe mode?

If he hasn't logged on at all you could try F8 and using the Last Known Good Configuration.

Other than this you should do as Jak suggested with a booting from the XP cd and doing a repair install.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Perhaps before a reinstall you could try to repair the installation.

Boot from the XP disk and leave thing alone until the first part of the install has finished. Use all the normal options until the option to repair the existing install comes up (that's after you accept the licence, F8). Then choose to repair the Windows install. This will re-install the system files from the disk, so if the disk does not have SP2 on it, then it will have to be re-loaded along with all other patches.

If this does not work then perhaps a fresh install is in order like Gav says.

HTH

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Apart from the the fine suggestions already posted in this thread, it occurs to me to ask more about this statement...

Why did he run a system restore? What happened just prior to that point, did he change something or load a driver or software that caused an issue??? I think it may be important, even if just to say to him, don't do that again once I have spent hours re-configuring everything :eek:

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. rico2005

rico2005 Bit Poster

Thanks for your replies guys...

Yes he's tried loading Last Known Good Configuration with no success. I'll give the other suggestions a go - I had a feeling it might end up being a case of doing a fresh install but thought it would be best to get some other opinions.

Just to let you know how this whole situation came about....and I'm chuckling in disbelief as I write this....

My dad connected his USB camera to the PC via USB and found that it didn't seem to be recognised. Normally it works fine. So, instead of getting the drivers CD that came with the camera and reinstalling that, he decided to do a whole system restore (...as you do...!!! :rolleyes: ). That's where the problem started - after the restore the PC hung during startup.

What can I say. My dad is a computer anarchist and shouldn't be left alone with it in case of causing irreparable damage to the O/S.

He even found his way into the BIOS and did some "experimentation" with it in his attempts at "troubleshooting" the problem. Sweet mercy.

Thanks again,

Richard

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I can't add anything to what the others have said Richard except to say that my Mom is the computer "expert" of her household. She manages to keep my Dad's clammy meathooks off the computer and they know to call me before they do anything dippy to their computer. They are both in their 70s and I'm just thankful they don't use the CD-ROM as a coffee cup holder. :P

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. rico2005

rico2005 Bit Poster

When my dad's PC is back up and running I'll configure it so that he can do no more damage! He'll be able to switch in on and shut it down. Nothing else! :twisted:

9. AJ

How did you fix it Richard? Sounds like it didn't take too long :D

10. rico2005

rico2005 Bit Poster

Unfortunately I haven't fixed it yet - I plan to get round to that at the weekend. My plan of attack is to follow the advice given on this thread. First, boot from the XP CD and choose the option to repair. If that doesn't work then, as suggested, I'll flatten the drive and do a fresh install.

11. AJ

Ok m8, let us know how you get on :biggrin