Windows XP Home Edition?

Discussion in 'Software' started by elli5on, Jun 17, 2006.

1. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

As you all probably know(from my other posts, sorry about them all) I have built a system for my father. He has now bought Windows XP Home Edition(Upgrade). Is this is to install on the system?? And if so, can it be used on 2 systems??

Sorry to keep bothering you all

Craig

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I wouldnt use it for 2 systems if its only meant for one mate...cos it does come with a CD-Key so imagine doing updates and validating the OS on the MS site...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

nope you need to OS's for 2 machines.. like noel said it will give you big problems..and with the new update checks MS does pop-ups and warnings about this version not being legal are a pest... :twisted:

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

True, so it is true that microsft are a wee tight. A genuine should be a genuine if you ask me. If it is to be used on more than one system, then so be it. Microsoft should not be so unhappy about it. at least it is a genuine copy.

Anyway, thanks guys

5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Er - usualy the 'upgrade' version will be looking for an old OS. If this is a new system there won't *be* an old OS!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

All has been finished now, although i did have to mess a little with the jumpers on the motherboard to enable the front USB slots to work.

Also, i have added the second hard drive as a slave. When i now start windows on the new system, it runs fine. Apart from before you select the user in which to log on with, it scans the ''E'' drive(the old hard drive) before you can log onto windows for obviously errors or whatever.
    Anyway this can be avoided without pressing the a key on the keyboard to avoid the scandisk??

Craig

7. hbroomhall

Let it go to completion. It will then mark the drive as OK and won't do it again.

Harry.

8. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

I did let it run through, and everytime i start windows after closing it down it does it again. and every time i start the pc up

9. hbroomhall

This link appears to be the same problem. See if it works for you.

Harry.