Problem Windows Vista 64bit misdetecting hardware

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Josiahb, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I've got an HP Pavilion tx 1000 laptop which is being a pain in the backside at the moment. If the wireless switch takes a knock and turns off when you turn it back on Windows decides that rather than the Broadcom wireless adapter its going to install an HP integrated bluetooth module and refuses to recognise the existence of the WiFi card.

This time round its actually refusing to allow me to remove the bluetooth, every time I uninstall it automatically reinstalls the drivers.

Its starting to drive me bloody mental..... anyone got any ideas?

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Is the HP ethernet controller located in the BIOS? if so you should be able to switch it off so Windows wont see it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Unfortunately its not the ethernet controller which is getting in the way... Having just reached frustration point and cracked the laptop open I've discovered that the Broadcom wireless card is both WiFi and Bluetooth which gives me a fairly clear 'why' for the misdetect unfortunately it hasn't helped much with how to stop it...

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Surely thats two different services could you not disable one from starting through msconfig?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?