Windows Vista 32bit-Windows 7-32bit - Windows 7 64bit

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by camadi46, Jul 2, 2010.

1. camadi46

camadi46 Bit Poster

Hi everyone,
    I have just upgraded my RAM from 2Gb to 4Gb on a HP Pavillion dv6820ea laptop. It came with Windows Vista 32bit, then I bought the Windows 7 Upgrade ( I have both 32 and 64 bit cds). After I upgraded my RAM, Windows only sees 3Gb. I know I need to install Windows 7 64bit.
    I have a recovery partition on my laptop for Windows Vista 32bit and Recovery Discs as well. If I do a full system recovery to Vista, can I then install the 64bit Windows 7 Upgrade, considering I have 4Gb of RAM now?
    I thought about doing a clean installation of Windows 7 64bit, but how do I get the drivers for my hardware then?
    I would really appreciate any piece of advice.
    Thanks a lot.

Certifications: A+, MCP
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Before you install Win 7 64bit, go to HP's website and download the Win 7 64bit drivers for your laptop model and put them on cd/usb memory stick. Then after you have installed 7, install the downloaded drivers.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. camadi46

camadi46 Bit Poster

Thanks a lot. Very quick and useful.
    Have a nice weekend!

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

You can't 'upgrade' from a 32bit OS to a 64bit OS, you will need to do a fresh install.

Is there any reason why you are running 4gb? Are you going to be using anything that actually will utilise it?
    Don't get me wrong, I like the 64bit OS (infact I don't use anything but 64bit OS's) but unless you're sure that you actually need it I would hold off.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You can't do an direct straight upgrade from a 32 bit OS to a 64bit OS.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. camadi46

camadi46 Bit Poster

I spent the last hour browsing the HP support & drivers website and there are no drivers for Windows 7 64bit, apart for the Wireless driver. I thought about doing a clean install of Windows 7 64bit, then download the Vista 64 drivers off the HP website and run them in compatibility mode. Could that work?
    If not I think I'am stuck with the 3Gb, better than 2Gb anyway.
    Thanks a lot.

7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Drivers can't be run in 'compatibility mode'. Well, if they have a setup routine you could run that in compat mode, but it won't make the driver work if it's not the right one.

You could look if there are any Vista 64bit drivers, as there is a chance they will work with W7 64bit.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

To be honest I would just install the OS and see how it goes, out of the box Win 7 does support a lot of hardware, for drivers you can't find directly on the HP website you could always try directly from the manufacturers website instead (Broadcom, Jmicron, Intel etc).

When I installed Win 7 onto a small Sony UMPC the only devices that didn't work out of the box were the two MMC\SD card readers, a simple search soon resolved that as well.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I have to agree with Simon, Windows 7 64bit found and loaded drivers for absolutely every device i have and that includes an old digital TV card.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)