windows v linux

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by zxspectrum, Mar 20, 2007.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Im doing the security piece as part of an assignment and ive got stuck in a rutt.

Basically i need to know how to describe the set up of Win Xp and Linux redhat 7.0. Im really baffled and any help would be great

Thanks
    Eddie:oops:

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

WinXP:
    1) Insert disc.
    2) Follow prompts.

:p

Haven't installed RedHat in so long, I can't remember.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

Might need a bit more information than that zxspectrum. Are you referring to the actual setup of each OS (installation) or post installation setup (configuration) or something completely different? Also what angle are you approaching this thing from? Is it a comparison of feature sets? functionality, ease of use etc etc.

I did my Thesis on a very similar topic so can probably help as best as I can (my job was to take a pile of students and compare their usage habits when using Fedora core 4 for a week and Xp Pro for another week, in order to come up with facts suggesting that desktop linux is a viable alternative to Windows XP, some interesting results)

Jodsclass

Certifications: BSc IT & Web Development
    WIP: MSc Advanced Computing, Oracle Cert
  4. zxspectrum

well the way im looking at it is that peopl seem to think that windows is less secure than linux as there are so many bug and security fixes. But an arguement to this couls be that there are more windows on desktops than there are of linux etc

Does that help at all??

Eddie

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

ding ding ding ding!
    We have a winner!!!

If you were a malware writer/bug exploiter, which would you target? The OS used by a gazillion home users who don't know how to keep their computers secure, or the OS used by a few geeky users who mostly know how to keep their computers secure?

EDIT: Wonder if Freddy will show up? :D Hah!!!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Are you looking at the ‘setup’ purely in terms of security?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

IMHO the main difference stems from some years ago, when Microsoft went all-out to make things a 'good experience'. This meant that it was possible to write web-pages that did funky things on your desktop etc.

Now we realize the downside of that - the funky things can also be horrid things.

Fortunately the Linux world wasn't convinced, so they largely ignored "ActiveX controls" as dangerous.

Harry (Oversimplifications 'R' us)

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

zxspectrum, copy and paste that post as your assignment, job done! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. zxspectrum

Damn i forgor about about active x coontrols. Ive actually done the piece if i put it on here any chance of you guys looking over it for me for an opinion etc

Eddie