Windows Updates

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Kopite_21, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Hi Guys,

I work for a medium sized IT Company in the Channel Isles offering Professional and Managed Services to businesses of all sizes, as well as a range of other support services such as Business Continuity, Hosting and eGaming.

My question is when we perform Windows Security Updates for clients we log into their servers and perform their patching but we need to make a note of the KB numbers that were patched and input them into a spreadsheet. When it comes to patching certain clients they tend to have a lot of patches to install and I need to write these down in the spreadsheet one by one. Is there an easier way were I can import these patches like insert them into Notepad then copy the lot of them all at once then insert them into the spreadsheet?

I have to remote to these servers so there is noway i can open a Notepad in the server and insert the KB numbers there then insert them into a Notepad on my Desktop.

Thanks for the help in advance. :rolleyes:

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

1. Use WSUS to deploy and manage the patches ?
    2. Use Powershell to generate the printout of the patches by date ?
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh849836.aspx
    3. Write similar in some other language like Python or Windows Shell Script.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    Kopite_21 likes this.
  3. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Thanks dmarsh I will look into it.

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Have you looked at a third party product to do this mate? Patching servers this way will take up way too much time and has the chance of user error when applying patches.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

+1 for dmarsh's suggestion.

Also if you've got an SCCM environment, strongly suggest to utilize that. It'll give you installation, reporting, statistics, what patches installed & compliance information

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud