windows type disc cleaner and defrag

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by steve_p1981, Mar 12, 2011.

1. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

pretty much as the title says. I've just started to use linux and i can't find any type of disc cleaner and defrag tool like windows has. Does the OS have them? if so, where do i find it or does it work from the command terminal? i'm using mint 10 with the gnome GUI. I don't know if that helps?

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You dont need to defrag with linux because the file system is more organised than Windows but if you really want to do it then you could try fsck -a but there's no need really.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

i don't really need to but i didn't know if it was something i had to know in the terminal. The whole thing seems alot nicer to work with than windows although windows is a little more user friendly for the guys that don't really understand much about them if you see what i mean. I installed linux on my laptop and only use windows for my virtual machines and running windows based programs as i'm not quite sure how to get wine working with my pre installed windows programs like photoshop cs3. i tried installing a windows program on it to test that but it comes up with an error with the exe file

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If you think linux is good then you should try its bigger brother Unix. Unix rules although you have to be careful with it since its all command line based and you don't get any are you sure Y or N options. If you tell it to do something it does it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

well i'm just trying to get used to linux at the moment and have been looking at the site that teaches the commands used in terminal. but it does seem alot better than the windows command line