Windows Sever 2003 R2 Quota

Discussion in 'Networks' started by SimonV, Mar 12, 2007.

1. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

We use a windows server 2003 r2 built in quota system, not NTFS Disk quota. Does anyone know a way of notfying users when they run low or out of disk space, we would like to use a pop-up.

I know that emails can be sent to users but not all of aour pupils have email addresses so a popup would suit our needs much better.

thanks in advance, Si :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I'm not aware of any methods for popups mate, apart from a custom solution
    there might be a way to integrate the alert into SP2007 MySites but i dont have first hand knowledge of doing this

I'll let you know I dig something up

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Yeah, I'm guessing I'll need a script or command that can be put in the "run this command or script" part of my quota templates.

4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

This is the best I've found:

From HERE

5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

BUMP :)

6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

cant you just stick in some vbscript to check the quota and the current size, and notify if they get within x of the limit - this could be via a simple messagebox, or even an html page with various pieces of information.

I could (possibly) work up some code for this for you if this is the route you choose to go.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Thats what you would hope you could do, I made a simple vbscript that pops up a message box but I cant get it to execute on the client.

8. Fergal1982

a simple solution would be to use a net send in that situation then.

alternatively you could incorporate the code into their logon script, but you would need to code in a check for the quota, etc.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  9. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Net send may be the only solution for now but I would have liked a bit more functionality than that to be honest.

10. Fergal1982

Im not entirely sure how id go about it, but i reckon i could design a client based vb program that would monitor drive space usage and alert the user when this was breached..... i think.

I'd certainly be willing to give it a go and see what i came up with.

11. Fergal1982

what information do you get from a quota breach?

What im thinking of, is a client-side program that runs in the background whenever a user logs into the machine, and a server side program that sits on the server.

The server-side would be a command line program that basically sends information to the client program running on the users machine. The client-side would then be configurable with various options to action when the information was received, ie loading a webpage on the client machine to notify them that their mailbox quota has been exceeded (or is about to).

I reckon i could achieve this, but id need a method to correlate the username on the breach (which i assume can be supplied within the program, likely using the %username% attribute in the command arguments), with an IP address of the machine they are currently connected to. Other than that i think it would be pretty straightforward.

Does this sound at all useful to you? If it is i can start looking at building a solution, but if not, then i wont bother :biggrin.

12. SimonV
    Honorary Member

That sound sweet if it can be archived Fergal, I've not had a lot of time to spend on the problem and at the moment I'm just relying on the email notifications to alert me of any quota violations.

The students just get a basic message of cannot save here disk is full kind of message when they reach their quota limit but nothing when they reach the 85% warning limit and as all students don't have email I cant use the email notification to notify them.

13. Fergal1982

alright, when i get some time, i'll take a look and see what i can do for you. I havent really done any network communication methods in VB, but ill give it a shot.