Windows Protection Files

Discussion in 'Software' started by noelg24, Aug 20, 2004.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I am about to reach the point where I will throw my beloved PC out the window but I dont really want to do that. Remember my last post relating to the Windows Logon Screen I was getting and we eventually got that sorted...well I was told by a very nice armadillo that running the Windows Files scan will put the files back in their normal places and replace other versions that are on the system. well since I installed VMWare (which I promptly took off afterwards when I nearly killed my machine :cussing ) I have been getting a message popping up that some of Windows Files are of the wrong version and Windows wont run properly without them as they have been replaced by unrecognised versions and this only happens when I start up the machine and logged into Windows. I did the scanonce sequence as mentioned earlier and I was hoping it would do the trick but no it didnt :cussing I was not best pleased and now I am here seeking serious assistance as I dont know what else to do. :x :cry:

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Do you have a system back-up from just before you installed VMware? You could always just restore your machine to it's previous config.

IF not, are the errror messages causing serious problems, like being unable to run programs or just trouble booting up?

More info please! And I will do my best to help. :biggrin

Andy

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I think system restore is out of it...after I installed VMWare I tried doing system restore twice and they were both unsuccessful and I have done so much Windows update since the last restore so it may involve me doing all that again..also its not causing any serious problems at all...its just the message appears when I log onto windows. It keeps asking me to insert CD except the problem is I dont know if it means my Win XP CD as it does not mention it..all it says is 'please insert now' so I insert win xp CD and still nowt happens...help me please...I just want to get rid of the message...but I will try the system restore tonight..

4. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

Ok Noel, what exactly is the error message telling you? is it the same file as mentioned in the other post you wrote causing the problem? If so, have you restored it, and what happened? Sorry to ask so many questions, just trying to get an idea of exactly what is happening.

If the system restore doesn't work tonight, it might be worth backing up all your essential/important/I just want to keep it type files to CD and doing an fresh install of XP. A pain in the @rse I know, but I have found in the past sometimes when an OS starts acting up with file errors (especially .vxd), it just gets worse over time and it's just best to start over again.

However, that has been on machines at work, where all the users files are saved on the network, so it was never a problem just to reinstall the OS and start again. I didn't have to worry about them losing anything.

Andy :)

5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

It doesnt give specific file types...it just says something along the lines of what I mentioned earlier. as if in general really. so I'll see what happens tonight.

6. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

Ok, keep us posted and let us know what happens. Good luck! :thumbleft

7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

ok things are not going well :cussing I have tried System Restore and for the 3rd time running it didnt complete it. I dont know why system restore has suddenly gone on me but I am starting to lose it...what I want to know is how can I make system restore work again without having to wipe the whole HDD drive cos I always rely on system restore...and dont say safe mode cos I have tried doing it that way and it still dont work...I wish I hadnt installed VMWare now...seems my machine just doesnt like it at all....HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

IMHO, Never ever EVER rely on this - you've just seen why.

The answer - BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP !!!! And, nope - I aint gonna say Safe Mode - format and re-install. Harsh, but the only way I would progress.

If you cant afford to recover from a system failure with the aid of data backups, and the very least, your installation CD, then your gonna come unstuck further down the line, Noelg24.

In case I forgot above, BACKUP !!!!!!

HTH.:)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. OffSide

OffSide Nibble Poster

Hi
    sorry to hear about the ''troubles'' you are having noelg
    my 0.2 cent : try this little wonder http://www.download.com/Registry-Mechanic/3000-2094-10238575.html that will hopefully get ride of all the invalid entries in the registry and maybe do the trick.

in the future do set your driver singing options to block or at least warn.
    one last thing norton ghost is the daddy as far as backup is concerned use it use it use it and ... use it.

let us know.

Peace and Love.

Certifications: N+ MCP 210
    WIP: MCSE
  10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Thanks guys...I will try your idea out in the next couple of days Offside...if that dont work..I will try using my XP CD to repair (if it does that) Windows...if that dont work...I will have to buy about 100 CD-Rs and back up some serious amount data...especially the amount of songs I have on the PC. thats gonna take me about 1 month to put it all back again. but we'll see what happens.

11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

How do I set my driver signing to block then cos I always get a warning when installing unsigned drivers like my graphics card which is the only unsigned driver I have...does this mean I will need to upgrade my AGP card? Try explaining that one to my girlfriend...I have been looking at newer AGP cards at MSI and also the likes of ATI and Gainward...but not sure yet and I dont wana spend anymore than £70...and it has to be 256MB aswell. again any help would be appreciated. I think I just might wipe the HDD without saving anything...dont you get that feeling where you cant be bothered to save things and just want you PC to work without any complications at all? thats how I am feeling right now...god knows how many programs I have and how many songs I have downloaded/copied aswell...but I guess it must be done...we'll see...

12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

noel
    its common practice for anyone with large ammounts of data to partition thier disk
    that way when an OS format is required you dont need to use 100CDrs to backup music and such, as its on a partition thats not going to be touched
    say you had an 80gb drive
    you would dedicated 10GB to apps and OS, and the rest to 'storage'

this all depends on your habits as to how the ratio should be set
    but its a pretty standard arangement, i advise doing that next time you format once you have backed up, just so you dont have the hassle anymore :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  13. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Try here on the M$ site for diver signing.

HTH [​IMG]

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  14. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Thanks Phoenix...if I am going to become a fully fledged PC Techie I need to be able to do partitions...I remember when I built my system earlier this year I wanted it to have a partition but the other half somehow got lost so thats when I reinstalled and didnt bother with that...since then...its gone bad...aarrgghh!!...and just so u know I do have an 80Gb HDD...and AJ...I think I have been to that part of the site and read about all that...but its nice to brush up on it again...cheers...

15. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

lol
    if you split the drive into partitions during the windows install
    you dont 'lose' the other half
    but its not visable because it doesnt have a file system placed on it

you need to goto disk manager and format the unpartitioned space and then you have both working partitions :)

16. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

17. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Ok well I have followed the instructions from those links and so far *touch wood* I have not received an error message relating to the problem....I will keep you guys posted in due course...

18. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Of course if you've got a bit of money then back up to an external USB HDD. Here's an example

It's ok partitioning your HDD, but if the HDD goes pear shaped then no matter which partition you've put the data, it's still history.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  19. OffSide

OffSide Nibble Poster

try to run sigverif its more advanced than the sfc command line.

blank CD's are cheap just get into the habit of backing up.

Peace and love

Certifications: N+ MCP 210
    WIP: MCSE
  20. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

this is true AJ
    and a backup is still essential
    but wiping the OS partition is all to common, and avoiding having to play around with data backups at the same time is very usefull