Windows Product Key

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by postman, Aug 2, 2008.

1. postman

postman Byte Poster

I've just run Winkeyfinder and Magic Jelly Bean Keyfinder and they both give me the same product key but it's different from the label attached to my computer, is there any reason for this?

WIP: A+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Looks like the OS has been reinstalled at some point mate.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

If teh pc was bought from a big name, it could be that they use a master clone drive with a volume licence on it, then just stick a product key on your case from a batch of windows they have lying round. Usinga clone saves teh manufacturers tiem when making loads of similar systems. Though i though that they should have changed the key when they ship the pc.

otherwise, someones re-installed windows and used a different key for some reason. Ever taken it in to a local pc repair guy?

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  4. postman

postman Byte Poster

It's a laptop that I bought from Currys about a year ago and it's never been away and I've never reinstalled the OS (because I don't have a disk).

The was a problem about 6months ago whenever I had to use the recovery partition.

WIP: A+
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Most laptops use a system known as System Locked Preinstallation (SLP). On such systems these days the printed key on the COA is not a valid key. This was done to stop people using copies of XP going to a local store and copying down keys from the displayed machines.

The machine *should* offer you the option of creating your own restore disks - often accessed when pressing odd keys (such as F12) at boot time. Check your docs (both paper and on the machine).

The result of the SLP system is that if you have to reinstall you don't get asked for the key or activation.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+