Windows not assigning letter to hdd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sambangert, Apr 8, 2008.

1. sambangert

sambangert Bit Poster

I've just knocked up a system and for some reason windows won't assign a drive letter to a hard disk.

It recognises the drive in the device manager, bios recognises it, i'm a bit baffled.

Any help would be great, cheers.

WIP: A+
  2. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Sometimes you need to assign a letter. i'm on a Vista box and its located in Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Open Computer Management and under Storage click Disk Management give it a few minutes to scan for disks, now you should see a volume with no drive letter right click and select assign drive letter (i think thats it).

Pretty much the same process for Windows 2000/XP. :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Assuming this is not the main/boot hard drive then the likelyhood is that this is a new drive, and therefore unpartitioned.

In this case you need to partition the drive and then format the partition(s). Windows will then assign drive letters.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. sambangert

sambangert Bit Poster

theres something odd going on with the disk. I used a program (cant remember what it was called) and it went into the disk and found a partition, then when i rebooted the computer windows found the drive, but with less than half the capacity. What i'm gonna do is format it with killdisk, then go from there.

It had peoples data from another computer, so i want rid, don't need other peoples junk lol!!!

5. sambangert

sambangert Bit Poster

Just gone into the administrative tools and its worked a treat, cheers csx, much appreciated.

6. Crito

Crito Banned

Also keep in mind that Vista, 2003 R2 and Server 2008 support mount points like Linux uses now. So you can just "attach" a volume to an existing directory tree without assigning a drive letter at all.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none