Windows Defender opinions

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Theprof, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hey guys/gals

I was just curious, those of you who you use vista at the moment, do you guys also use the windows defender or is there a better alternative?

To me it doesn't seem like that great of an app but maybe I am wrong. :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I use it, but i use other stuff aswell mainly spysweeper by webroot. Ive never actually found anything with defender tho.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

It saved my @$$ one time, way back before it was called Defender - still in beta. It caught sh1t that AVG (ok, I learned) didn't.

I've been "fond" of it since, and don't object to it installing.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It works slightly better than holding a piece of paper up in front of the monitor, but I'd probably recommend using something else... :unsure

I've been highly critical of Microsoft's supposed anti-spyware practices ever since they downgraded detections of Claria's adware (makers of Gator and GAIN, and whom Microsoft was rumored to have considered buying at one point) to "Ignore" rather than "Quarantine": link

Use at your own risk.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Interesting, what I'll do is keep it enabled for now and use it for a bit. I'll see what happens later on.

Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate it.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA