Windows Automatic Updates

Discussion in 'Software' started by itbookham, Jun 12, 2008.

1. itbookham

itbookham Nibble Poster

Hi,

Has anyone come across a problem with Windows updates being downloaded and installed, and after the computer rebooted it caused problems with the broadband connection? To get around this we had to use System Restore to revert back to a pre-update date.

Thanks.

WIP: A+
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

It could have been caused by a corrupted install or even registry key. Owing to this reason I only use custom update and not the recommended option as this way I pick and choose my installs. Best wishes and thanks for sharing:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. itbookham

itbookham Nibble Poster

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. What is the best way to check the Registry? Is there a good freeware programme available? And you mention also a corrupted install. I suppose reverting to a previous restore date is the only workaround, because this rolls back the updates?

Thanks.

4. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

You can remove the updates one by one through the Control panel. You need to tick the show updates box to see what updates have been installed.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What patches did you install make? Did you do any driver updates?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. itbookham

itbookham Nibble Poster

Hi,

I am doing this for a friend, so I am not exactly sure at the moment what was updated. I am under the impression though that the problem arose as a result of an automatic Windows update a few days ago. The computer was then rebooted and it was then that he was not able to access the internet. He did a System Restore to a previous date and he then managed to establish a broadband connection. Hope this helps and thanks for the message.

7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If the update included SP3 then it is possible that an outdated firewall or anti-virus system might be causing problems.

What diagnosis did you do on the Internet connection? What actual fault did you see?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. itbookham

itbookham Nibble Poster

Hi Harry,

I didn't actually see any faults. The broadband connection appeared configured correctly. The only sticking point is having Windows Update set to automatic. After an automatic update, download and install, and reboot the broadband connection is lost. If you then restore to the previous System Restore point, the broadband connection is reestablished. SP3 is installed by the way.

Thanks. Mark

9. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

OK. What ping tests and traceroutes did you do? Did the gateway and DNS settings appear correct?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+