Windows 98 Internet Security

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ozzie, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Ozzie

Ozzie Nibble Poster

I've just installed windows 98 for a customer that will have some internet use, and understand that there is a lack of support for this OS now. I have no choice but to use 98, and I'm struggling to find a firewall that still supports it.
    Does anyone know of a firewall I can use? & it would have to be free due to lack of funds.

WIP: CompTIA A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

There probably isn't one anymore.

If windows has one (can't remember if it did)then that will have to do.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Zone Alarm (free firewall for personal use) stopped supporting Win98 with version 6.5 onwards. So I guess if you went for 6.1 then it might work ok for what you want. You may not be prolperly licenced if it's not for personal use though. Prevous versions list can be found here.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I think a previous version of ZoneAlarm is allowed to be used on Win98.

That said - Win98SE is *far* less vulnerable to break-ins, as it runs far fewer server processes. If you switch off file-shareing then there are almost no server processes running.

I use an older copy of AVG on my Win98SE boxes which work fine. I don't bother with a firewall.

I also use Firefox instead of IE.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Can you just put it behind a broadband router?

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Why oh why did your customer want Windows 98? I agree with Freddy. You don't need an onboard firewall if you have the PC sitting behind one.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. Ozzie

Ozzie Nibble Poster

I agree. They're not customers as such, I'm working for a charity. With limited funds I have to use the existing equipment, which is just a donated PC running windows 98.

10. Ozzie

Ozzie Nibble Poster

Thanks guy's, I didn't know you could still download the old version's of zone alarm, that's handy to know.
    I installed r-firewall, which seems ok, similar to zone alarm actually.

This site is also worth a look for allsorts of freebies. http://www.freeware-guide.com/