Windows 95 on a bootable cd?

Discussion in 'Software' started by nugget, Feb 22, 2005.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Ok, the problem I have is I want to run Windows 95 and 98 in vmware. I need to boot these from a floppy disk, but as you guessed it, I have no floppy drive. Is it possible to make another iso image of the win95 disk then copy the bootdisk files to the image file and burn a (hopefully) bootable win95 disc?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

That's a good question. In theory it should work, but I'm not the world's leading expert on the subject so it would be easy for me to overlook something. This is going to be a problem since floppy drives are being phased out of newer PCs and laptops, yet Windows 9x was designed to boot initially from a floppy (Windows 95 originally was installed from an entire series of floppy diskettes).

Another option would be to get an external floppy drive and attach it to the computer you want to install the Windows 9x VMs. Hopefully, someone with a more definate answer will come along to assist. Good luck.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I think VMWare has the option to mount a floppydisk image as the A drive like it does a CDRom, so perhaps you could find a way to rip the bootable floppy as a disk image?

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. law123

law123 Byte Poster

Try this site to see if this helps. http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/#cdromsi If not I have a bootable Windows 95 CD-ROM but I am not to sure of what way you need it to boot. If you want it to boot to a comand promt the one I have will do the trick P.M. me and i see what I can do to help.

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  5. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade