Windows 8

Discussion in 'Software' started by Johnd76, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Has anyone downloaded the Windows 8 Developer Preview?

What do you think of it?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Just seems extremely weird right now... but then I'm using it in a VM on a laptop, not one for posh phones or tablets...

3. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I agree, is a little strange but i do like it

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  4. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Installed it myself this afternoon - apart from having a start menu that takes over the whole screen, I was a bit lost to notice much difference - that said, it was only for 15 mins or so.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  5. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Installed it on a stylus equipped Thinkpad. Unfortunately as it's a stylus, you can't do two (or more) fingered gestures, so it seems to fall back into a hybrid mouse like experience.

As far as previews go, it's very early, I can feel there's still a lot to be done to make things feel more coherent and seamless.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  6. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Yes as the others have said its rather strange, and I'm struggling to think of how it will fit into the desktop space in working environments. if the tiles were active then the salt and vinegar window may be useful, but at the mo it feels like they've just slapped a few HTML pages on top of the OS (think active desktop in win 98).

All I can think about at the moment is all the extra group policies require to turn all the basic pages off they dont even look nice just meh! I guess in a pad type device it might work but for an actual computer I can only see disadvantages from having one app viewable at a time.

At the moment it just doesn't feel right as a desktop OS.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

What I don't understand is Windows has a bazillion editions just to raise extra sales revenue when they could probably have just 1-3. So if they are going to create multiple versions why not release a table or mobile edition ?