Windows 8, what will this mean?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by millsie, Jun 4, 2011.

1. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

I'm all for new technologies but what is this thing with Microsoft at the moment bringing out a new OS every 2 years?

For me this is going to get rather expensive and time consuming having to continually upgrade my certs at a greater and greater cost to keep up with it all.

Now I have only just got my first XP cert, then there was Vista which was a waste of time, now you have 7 and next year 8!
    The reason I ask is that I was happy enough to upgrade to 7 after XP as I am aware that a lot of businesses now are moving over to 7 from years of XP, this is good and I am happy to upgrade.

But whats going to happen next year, are all the companies going to then upgrade to 8? Or stick with 7? Or what?
    Its all happening too fast and I am worried they will make the same mistakes they did with Vista in rushing it out without making it a great operating system rather than an average one before they bring it out.

From what I have seen it does look good, but for the home market rather than business, all the flashy touchscreen usability that home users will want, is this really needed for the workplace?

I just feel that all these exams I am going to have to do to stay up with it and if I'm not working for someone who is intending on upgrading their OS every year or 2 will not be willing to fund this for me.

Millsie

Certifications: N+, CCNA, MCDST
    WIP: CCNP route 642-902
  2. Spidey76

Spidey76 Bit Poster

Microsoft release schedule generaly means a new OS every four years and "release 2" every two years. Windows 7 was infact Windows Vista R2 but we all know why they re-branded it ;-) Windows 8 will be the next major release sometime next year.

I do look and feel of the new UI and its primarily to target the consumer tablet space. Businesses can still run standard Windows applications on a standard desktop. Windows 7 will have the most adoption by businesses next year and I don't see them moving to Windows 8 until atleast R2.

3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

XP is still the dominant OS on the market, and even more so for businesses.
    Even if W8 is significantly different (which I doubt) to W7 under the hood, rather than a GUI upgrade (which I suspect), most businesses won't look at it until they've went to W7 first.
    Playing the percentages game, XP is still by far the best experience/certs to have. W7 is the next best, and becoming increasingly a better bet. W8 won't start to become significant in the business community until at least a year after release.
    Plenty time to get up to speed, especially if W8 is just Vista R3.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
    Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. Spidey76

Spidey76 Bit Poster

Windows 8 is indeed a major release (Not Vista R3 or Windows 7 R2). For the first time Windows will support the ARM architecture which is used on most tablets and other mobile devices. There are Kernel level changes as to how it handles interupts. The UI is not just an app sitting on the standard windows shell. It is the shell at the core level by default! You also have a second desktop shell. The desktop shell looks infact to be Windows 7, but they did something similar when they showcased Windows 7 which ran on a Vista shell. The final product would have the real Windows 8 desktop shell.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

As said businesses don’t always upgrade each time a new OS is upgraded – I recently just finished a Windows 2000 to Windows 7 migration for one of my clients.

You also said that your Vista cert was a waste of time? Why? I know a few companies that did migrate to Vista and after SP1 was released their desktop estate seems to be ok now.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

not every business can afford to migrate to a new OS every time MS release a new one. I know places that still run server 2000 and the worstations are a mix of 2000 and xp and I know one place that use win2k3 and vista and I know one place that runs server 2008 and 7 but the majority o fplaces I know use xp and still will use xp for many years to come even after ms stop supporting it in 2014.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I agree with all that's been said as I personally think it is not necessary to sit for every cert that Microsoft creates in terms of new operating systems etc. However, technology is evolving at an alarming and speedy rate which consequently means a lot of time and money is needed to sit for a new cert etc.

In regards to the above though you can stay up to date with the trends and the new technology by learning about the system or software. This can easily be done by spending time on technet, reading white papers and most importantly install the software and learn some more.

All the best:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  8. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

We've upgraded around 80% of our machines to windows 7, however we've got an EA with microsoft, so it makes sense to.

Whilst XP will still be used for a long time, i have to say, we've installed x64 windows 7 on every machine (Unless app's require an x86 install) and ever since, my users think it's brilliant - easier interface to use, looks nicer (users like eye candy) and it's something they go home and boast about lol.

I've been using 7 at work for the last year and a half, wouldn't touch XP with a giant stick now if i had the choice, if the company can afford the upgrade costs, it's a no brainer if you ask me.

Regarding windows 8 - if you're working regularly within IT and with desktops, ultimately you'll start using it eventually and will pick up the skills required for it. Remember - even now not all companies look for someone with windows 7 exams, if their enviornment is XP - it's just a nice to have at the moment, but it'll obviously transition once the OS's move on

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud