Windows 7 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Software' started by trebor_88, Jun 19, 2010.

1. trebor_88

trebor_88 Byte Poster

Anyone currently looking at upgrading to Windows 7?

Were having loads of problems regarding getting our in house applications to work of Win 7, currently looking at using XP mode, but I am not sure about this? Any views? Anyone have an experience or advise?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCITP:EDST, MCTS:7
    WIP: VMware VCP 5, MCSE and CCNA
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

We're in the process of slow migrating to Windows 7... We generally don't use many applications, just the basic stuff like MS office, Sophos, etc... we do have some in house apps but those work with 7. I personally would not setup xp mode for windows 7 for a regular user. Another thing we're looking at is also migrating our dc's to 2008 for more GPO control with Windows 7.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. trebor_88

trebor_88 Byte Poster

Same thing here I guess, I have managed to get a standard image done and sysprep it, which seems to be working well :=)

I have looked at MED-V, but I still dont think XP mode is the best way to go.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCITP:EDST, MCTS:7
    WIP: VMware VCP 5, MCSE and CCNA
  4. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

We're slowly moving towards Windows 7 too. We've tested and deployed few laptops for mobile users with Windows 7. Next month we're gonna get more licenses and slowly move departments across.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

We have been doing this slowly as well and it can introduce more problems than you might realise at first. There have been ways around various issues (printers not mapping correctly, legacy apps not working etc..) but they take time to work through. We do have the benfit of having a 2008 R2 functional level in our domain, but that in itself caused a few issues early on. :) Mainly third party (non MS) applications / appliances that didn't authenticate properly afterwards.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I agree. Although the only issues we've experienced were with printers not mapping and printer drivers going out of sync between printer and a workstation once in a while. Client comes up with the popup asking for printer driver reinstallation (credentials needed). We hope that moving print server to Win 2008 R2 will solve the issue (Win 2003 currently)

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

We haven't experienced any printer issues... the only thing that we had issues with were the drive mappings and that was due to the active sync doing offline synchronization.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA