Windows 7 Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by jvanassen, Oct 13, 2011.

1. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Bit of a shot in the dark here dont know whether anyone will be able to help but basically i want to reformat my hard drive due to Itunes being a pain in the backside. Ive only got a 20GB partition for Windows which i thought would be fine until i got an iphone and started using Itunes (which will only install and store all iphone backups to the primary partition)

So im now running a bit low on space on the primary HD so thought i would just reformat and repartition the whole drive.Im already running Windows 7. Well im booting from the DVD and it goes through a little windows loading screen then it just switches to a blank light blue screen with the cursor and it just sits on that, and no keyboard functions will do anything nor is the HD LED flickering showing any activity.

Pretty stuck on what to do here really.....

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  2. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

cant you use the disk management in windows to shrink the other partition then enlarge your primary partition?

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. jvanassen

As far as im aware (correct me if im wrong) that feature in Disk Management is quality but the one place it doesnt work is on the primary partition :(

4. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

5. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

i can shrink my primary partition so cant see why i wont be able to extend it! good luck

6. jvanassen

Yea i can shrink the primary partition also and have created some free un allocated space but no matter what you do the Extend Volume button for primary partition does not highlight.

Im pretty sure you cannot extend the primary partition, i remember reading it in Mike Meyers A+ manual which is why i was trying to reformat my drives....If im wrong then someone please correct me but the extend partition button does not hightlight and become clickable.....

7. jvanassen

Ok problem solved i was wrong you can do it but you literally have to deleted the rest of the partitions for the extend button to highighlight up lol. It isnt just a case of shrinking one drive then extending the primary well atleast thats what i found. Looks like il be spending the rest of the evening re installing program files lol but problem solved.

Thanks for your help mate, much appreciated!!

8. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

You can always use easeus for stuff like that, never failed me but on the other hand only used it a few times. v easy to use

9. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

No worries!
    dont mention it! like to help a fellow essex lad out!