Problem Windows 7: Initial Slow Profile Creation

Discussion in 'Software' started by BB88, Jun 25, 2012.

1. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

The headaches of Windows 7 in a Domain Environment continue. We have now get everything sorted in regards to locking down the system as much as possible for student access and are happy with everything associated with that. We now have one bugging issue. Initial Slow Profile Creation.

This seems to happen regardless of being logged in with an administrator account or a standard account. Initial creation takes ~80-100 seconds for each new user, but if they log on again after restart/log off then the time is significantly reduced to ~10 seconds.

I have stripped down unnecessary start up programs in MSConfig, removed all start up scripts, and checked which GPOs are being applied.

I am going to try a diagnostics start up now and see if that speeds things up.

Can anyone shed any light? :eek:

- - - Updated - - -

Diagnostics Start Up with a fresh local account took ~75 seconds...

Oh these are Mandatory Profiles and not Roaming Profiles.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi BB88,
    Anything being logged in event viewer?

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. BB88

@Notes_Bloke
    Nothing of note (no pun intended) to see, just a few warnings about ThemeStyle which I have since removed the StubPath in the Registry to bypass on log on. I have even tried just forcing Classic and disabling Aero, no difference.

I read about using solid background colours causing issues, and since switching from a solid background colour to an actual Wallpaper, seems to of decreased the boot time by about 20 seconds, so we are ~60-80 seconds now...

I do not think its network related as the issue occurs even if there is no patch cable plugged in and a local account is created from scratch. I'm not the only one to experience this issue, many are complaining of ~180 second log ons, I'm just glad I am nowhere near that region!

4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

If it does this when there is no network connection then your really down to performance issues. What specs are the pc`s running windows 7, is it an image, is the image for the exact model of pc your deploying it too. Is windows 7 a clean build or is it upgraded and what other software is deployed on those machines. If you login for the first time onto a pc how big is the users profile (file size wise that is).

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. BB88

@dales
    AMD x2's at 3 GHZ a core, 4GB of RAM, 500 GB HDD. It was a clean build, then an image taken and then re-imaged to the same machine to test. All other machines are exactly the same in terms of hardware and even BIOS versions. Profile size is 20MB give or take. The Default profile where it is creating it from presumably is only 1.9MB. It has quite a lot of software installed on it, no different than the XP equivalent of the same room, just OS is different, and the XP profiles load from new in ~20 seconds and ~5 seconds thereafter.

6. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

are there any scripts that are built into the image?

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  7. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I guess the only thing you can do is uninstall one program at a time and try rebooting each time just to see if its one of those programs.

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk 2

8. BB88

@dales
    No start up scripts other than in Group Policy, but I have tried removing them and this didn't help the issue.

9. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Have all patches and fixes been applied to the machines?

Also try turning on verbose mode and see if there is any furhter info that replaces the "Please Wait" message. I think its in Administrative Templates | System | "Verbose vs Normal status messages"

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...