Windows 7 in A+

Discussion in 'A+' started by Shuya, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Shuya

Shuya New Member

Ok, so I read that in the new year the A+ exam will include windows 7, that's great as it will obviously be more useful on a practical basis to be right up to date OS wise. The issue I do have is that my learning materials (Pearson A+ cert guide, Soper, Mueller, Prowse) published last year, only go as far as Vista.

Can anyone recommend some additional material that does include Win7 ?

TY in advance.

2. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

Most of the stuff that applied for Windows Vista is still valid for Win7.
    I would not worry about it that much, but this page seems to sum the changes up:

http://www.professormesser.com/after-class/windows-7-requirements-are-here

Be sure to check out the vid training on that site too

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  3. Shuya

Shuya New Member

TY Simon, will have a look at those vids.

I had a bit of a wander around amazon and waterstones last night and found a couple of updated editions of existing A+ books, but none of them are available just yet. I'll link them here in case they're of use to anyone else doing the A+ after jan 1st, altho the Meyers book is about 6 months away from publishing :dry

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/mark+edward+soper/david+l-+prowse/scott+mueller/comptia+a2b+220-701+and+220-702+cert+guide/8176966/ 69 days away

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/david+l-+prowse/comptia+a2b+220-701+and+220-702+exam+cram/8176964/ 55 days away

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/michael+meyers/mike+meyers+guide+to+supporting+windows+7+for+comptia+a2b3a+28set+229/8165848/ 189 days away

I hear what you say about Vista/Win7 but as this is my first exam I want to cross every "t" and dot every "i" (paranoia lol), so I'll get on with my 2009 version and buy the updated win7 version in 69 days I don't start studying in earnest until jan anyway so it won't be such a wait then.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The Mike Meyers 7th edition book is already out and will have all thats in the exam about windows 7 in it already.

If you are not studying books that are geared towards the 700 series exams then you could be doing yourself a disservice. I highly doubt that compTIA will add any more about windows 7 unless they are changing the exams again to the 800 series which I have seen no mention of on compTIAs website.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Shuya

Shuya New Member

http://www.comptia.org/news/pressreleases/10-09-28/CompTIA_A_Certification_Exam_Update_Planned_with_New_Content_on_Windows_7_Operating_System.aspx

Doesn't that state that as of jan 1st there will be new content ? Am I missing something ?

Re Mike Myers 7th edition, I asssumed that the current one was incomplete since he was releasing this...

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/michael+meyers/mike+meyers+guide+to+supporting+windows+7+for+comptia+a2b3a+28set+229/8165848/

I don't own the 7th edition so if you can clear that up for me would be good. I am currently using CompTIA A+ 220-701 and 220-702 Cert Guide By Mark Edward Soper, Scott Mueller, David L. Prowse Published Nov 10, 2009 by Pearson IT Certification. As far as I'm aware that is pertinent to the A+ 701/2.

I figured I'd go with that and maybe get hold of the Myers book too and then buy either the new Pearson book when it comes out in a couple of months or some supplemental material covering the new win7 requirements. That's covering all my bases I think isn't it ?

6. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

I have the Mike Meyers' book (7th ed), no Windows 7 in it...
    But ipconfig, tracert and all the other tools A+ tests you on are practically the same on all Windows editions so again, I wouldn't worry about it :)

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I never saw that Shuya but as Simon has pointed out. The commands remain the same, and basic approach to changing size of a swap file or looking at your drivers is basically the same. If you have used XP and Vista there isn't much difference if at all in most cases and figuring out the correct answer in the real exam shouldn't be rocket science to anyone especially for the A+.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. Shuya

Shuya New Member

Right ho lads, will just plough on with what I have and see how I get on. Those professor Messer vids are brilliant, thanks a lot for the pointer, watched quite a few already :biggrin

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  9. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Pretty much everything you need to know for the A+ is the same in W7 as it is for Vista. Also, remember that the OS section is only a fraction of the entire exam (about 22% when I did it, I imagine it's about the same now). With 4 OSs (although I doubt you'll get much W2K questions) and the command line to cover you won't get much W7 questions. As I already mentioned most W7 questions will have an identical answer to Vista questions.

One thing I'd look at regarding W7 would be minimum specs and upgrade paths. There WILL be questions about those in the question pool so you may just get one.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job