Windows 7 Desktop Support certification will require a third-party exam

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by DaveyB1981, Jul 17, 2009.

1. DaveyB1981

DaveyB1981 Byte Poster

Microsoft’s certification team has announced that in order to earn the new Enterprise Desktop Support Technician credential for Windows 7, candidates will also need to pass an exam from the Help Desk Institute

Read the full article at http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/helpdesk/?p=833&tag=nl.e103

Dave

Certifications: CISMP, ITIL Fdn, MCDST
    WIP: the day job...
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Out of sheer curiosity (and the fact that I couldn't find it on MS's site)...

Have the upgrade requirements (say you're a MCDST and want to upgrade to TS: Windows 7, Configuring) been released yet?

I doubt it as it's still beta...

TIA,
    Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I picked up on this and I've got to say I'm disappointed in Microsofts approach, I know outsourcing is a big trend in IT at the moment but outsourcing elements of your certification track? Looking fairly balls to me...

as for the upgrade path, the details appear to be here: http://www.thinkhdi.com/hdi.aspx?c=223 so MS are expecting everyone to do the daftly expensive HDI exam even for upgrades.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Thanks for the link +rep.

Pah, they should reduce the upgrade path for those who have MCDST and MCITP:EST :(:(:(

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You gotta be kidding... :wtf:

Yet another Epic FAIL by Microsoft Learning.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

See here.

I agree that 3rd party certs should be allowed to be used as a substitute for an elective (like Comptia certs for the MCSA/MCSE track). However as an addition??? Is Microsoft saying that their certs aren't good enough? Is Comptia not paying Microsoft royality fees anymore? :rolleyes:

There are some companies that still haven't grasped what a MCSE is, let alone the new range of MCTS/MCITP. Now we have to attain HDI certs, which are also SDI certs in some places, that practically no-one uses outside of the US and Japan. A little ticked off, and I'm a pro-Microsoft person :x

I wonder what the next gen of server exams will have us to get? HDI Support Center Manager or maybe even the HDI Support Center Director cert?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. BosonMichael

...and practically no one uses INSIDE of the US, either. In fact, I don't know of a single HDI/SDI-certed individual here.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

If that's how popular they are in the country that it was created in... Well you get my point, not a very good move, imo, from MS.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

WTF, are they trying to annoy us all on purpose! I've already got my ITIL cert, dont want to study that again thanks muchly. I shouldnt need to verify my customer skills to MS to gain one of their technical certs. Just bl**dy bonkers.

They are doing a good job at the mo of pushing us away (think they forgot that because we are pretty much MS representives they do need to try and keep us on side too).

Think I better start polishing up my *nix skills in they roll this attitude out to the rest of the business they will be in trouble.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I have to agree with the general consensus here.. this is ridiculous :dry

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

It wouldn't be so bad if the learning resources for the HDI cert weren't so expensive. There doesn't seem to be any 3rd party HDI books or CBT's at all.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  12. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

10-12 hours of online, self-paced, economical training= $595 per person
    I can almost hear the clack of keys as authors worldwide furiously email their publishers with a rough outline for a book.

What the **** is economical training? Economical for who?

With another $200+ for the exams, I think we all know where M$ can stuff this idea.

EDIT: All those rogue TPs must be rubbing their hands with glee at the thought of something else they can overcharge for.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  13. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Pah! I think people will just do the windows 7 certs and forget about that any of that HDI business.

Having recently finished my MCITP:EST and (more painfully) had to sit the ITIL v3 cert I have no wish to waste precious study time covering HDI stuff and paying through the nose for it.

I'll pay good money for books on operating systems and networks and certification related to them.

I begrudged paying £17 for a flipping ITIL book, and putting petrol in the car to sit the exam!! Have you seen the price of the HDI CBTs!!!!!

I won't be going in for the HDI cert, I may sit some windows 7 exams, but the HDI is a no go.

grrr etc

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  14. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, I think that will be the case for most people. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  15. Miro

Miro Byte Poster

And that all happens when I have nearly started to like Microsoft for Windows 7.
    I think as was said before that we should skip the HDI and just do the 70-680 exam.
    Who knows what is HDI in Europe? :blink
    Why Microsoft always think "money"?

Certifications: A+ IT Technician
    WIP: MCDST, Network+
  16. BosonMichael

Who knows what HDI is in the US?

What does the HDI certifications have to do with Microsoft getting money? To my knowledge, Microsoft doesn't get a cut of any of the revenue from people taking the HDI exams. We can agree that this is a poor decision by Microsoft... but let's call it what it is and not what it isn't... and there's no indication that this is a money grab by Microsoft.

Personally, I think it's an attempt at one (or both) of the following:
    1) an attempt to increase the respectability of Microsoft's certification programs (which, for the life of me, I can't figure out how chaining the HDI certs to Microsoft's certification program would do that!), or
    2) an attempt to lead people away from CompTIA and towards HDI in order to knock off a company Microsoft might perceive as more of a competitor.

Neither approach seems very practical or logical from my point of view, but then again, Microsoft Learning seems to have abandoned logic in the past few years.