Windows 7 beta testing

Discussion in 'Software' started by demarrer, Mar 2, 2009.

1. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else is doing the Windows 7 beta testing. What are your thoughts on this OS?

I'm pretty impressed so far, but blimey the control panel is a mess.

cheers.

H

Certifications: A+, Security +, CCNA, CCSA
    WIP: music, (dreaming of) CCIE Security :D
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I've had it installed for a while but haven't really had the time to do anything with it.

Looks nice though.:twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I've downloaded the beta for Windows 7 but not had the chance to have it install on a computer yet. I am looking to get Windows Vista Ultimate for cheap as a friend works with Microsoft and would get it for me for under £30:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. mattprince

mattprince Bit Poster

Hi,

Ive been beta testing it from the off. Much lighter on ram than Vista. Nice to look at but no real leap forward for windows. I think this is where apple and osx will really gain. Alot of annoying issues such as...

1: If you highlight text from right to left to delete or overwrite it doesnt work.
    2: Lots of programs dont work with it (even in compatibility mode)
    3: That annoying taskbar with the jump lists

I will move to apple asn osx this summer when i renew my pc.

Matt

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+, N+ and MCDST
  5. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

1 and 2 may well just be due to it being a beta. Also remember when Vista and XP came out there were many similar bugs, don't write it off just yet.

However if you do make the jump to apple you wont be disappointed. Except if you play games.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  6. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

:ohmy Spooky I was looking yesterday I got an Product key from MS.
    But it no long available to download!

7. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

I know what you mean. I was really excited about it, then after a while I found it a little exhausting to use. Especially the control panel - it needs some work, and oh blimey the need for MS to describe every icon :eek: I know MS like to simplify things, but come on.

However on the upside, Windows 7 is pretty snappy speedwise as an OS.

I hope that one day a PC can interact with the user and actually assist them in one they need to do to boost productivity. The PC is still so reactive. What about developing more ways people can interact with computer - nintendo are doing it with the WII.

I was watching "Back to the future 2" the other day, promising in 2015 that we were going to have flying cars, computers that talk to you and 3D holographic screens in 2015 lol... one of the largest IT companies on earth can't even redesign a user interface properly that's its been pushing out for about 15 years - I think people have run out of imagination :(

Certifications: A+, Security +, CCNA, CCSA
    WIP: music, (dreaming of) CCIE Security :D
  8. mattprince

mattprince Bit Poster

Hi,

Yeah it is much snappier. I think its alot do do with the simpler code at the backend. I really wanted to love Windows 7 after the terrible vista but it just isnt happening. SOmeone said to me today "you cant polish a turd" , lol , and i see what hes saying.

Im not saying OSX is perfect because it isnt but i do honestly think its the way forward. As soon as Apple start to convince the corporate side i think windows will be doomed.

Matt

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+, N+ and MCDST
  9. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

WOW.... 8 posts on a M$ operating system and not one cry of "Wipe windows and install Linux"

Thats got to be a first for the internet

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  10. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

I have yet to scratch the surface with it, first impressions as I believe Zeb mentioned were Its just vista with a fish.

It is a lot like vista, really is it Vista SP3, does it need another name/license?

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Probably not but MS need the wonga. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

should less than that

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  13. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

Actually I believe the Mythbusters have disproven this, as you can polish a turd to a high gloss using the ancient Japanese art of Doradango.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  14. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I have to say that I like Windows 7 alot so far. I've been playing with it at home and even installed games like UT3 on it. Alot smoother and faster then Vista (the laptop I installed it on had Vista home premium 32-bit, now has Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit), and so far the only app that I've had problems with is Daemon tools, but not surprised.

This week coming I'll be using Windows 7 in a live environment (connected to the domain, etc) in my day to day job to see how it performs (considering it's a beta).

From what I've seen of Windows 7 (and considering that I haven't tested all the current apps at work) it looks like we'll be deploying the final product when it comes out, so by-passing Vista all together.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  15. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, we are missing out Vista as well for most of our customers. Going to just keep rolling out XP until Windows 7 is released. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs