Windows 7 backup not deleting previous backup

Discussion in 'Software' started by Chopperchand, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Chopperchand

Chopperchand Nibble Poster

Hi,

I have setup a backup at work for our MD, it works well the only problem is it is not overwriting the last backup. so before we know it;
    it filled up a 500GB hard drive.

His complete machine backup is only 30GB

Is there a way round this, as have looked in setup. But can't seem to find a solution

Thanks

WIP: MCSA Sql Server 2012
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

What do you use as your corporate backup solution? I only ask because, well, really I wouldn't use this for my MD, infact I would rather be using network locations to store all documents and being in the position that if my MD's laptop failed I could give him a replacement that he can work on within 40 minutes of him telling me something had gone wrong, none core apps would install whilst he was logged on and his data would already be in his profile\home drive.

Even MS DPM only backs up required data rather than doing full image backups (although you can use the workstation agent which in all honesty wasn't that clever).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Sparky likes this.
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Would have to agree with Simon. Either try and redirect My Docs etc. onto a network share that is backed up or use a different backup solution. Preferably one that can be monitored.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Chopperchand

We use Symantec backup exec 12.5, He has documents stored on the server location which is backed up. however he likes to do a complete machine backup so his personal stuff is backup up on a drive.

In XP it worked fine. I guess will have to get some try of standalone backup software for his machine. After all they want everything but on the cheap!!

Thanks for the info guys...

5. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  6. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
    jimmyrayjit likes this.
  7. Chopperchand

Hi,

Thanks for the link Toasty,

I'm trying to get a fully licenced external backup software into the new budget....

8. jimmyrayjit

jimmyrayjit New Member

Good Morning Chopperchand, your this is right. But according to my experience, you should take advice to an expert. Now a day, too many people (expert) are live on internet to help users. I have the same issue with my external hard drive having 50 GB(SATA). When I tried to remove the previous backup file, all steps became failure. For technical support, I tried too many steps. But all proved as failure. Then, I came here at certforums portal, and a guy who gave advice to take online support. And, it's really proved helpful for me. Thanks a lot you guy!!

9. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

I use Cobian Backup for one of the businesses I administer. You can back up to multiple locations (both remote and local) and its Free!

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+