Problem Windows 7 and mobo upgrade

Discussion in 'Software' started by Raffaz, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Hi,,
    Just wondering if anyone has had to replace a mobo with win 7 OS.

My gigabyte mobo died a few weeks back and ive went back to Asus, just wondering what problems (if any) im going to get. I remember XP used to be a right pain for this, but ive never tried 7 yet.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  2. Raffaz

Is that a no then :D

3. Bongo_Fury

Bongo_Fury Bit Poster

Certifications: A+ MCDST
    WIP: N+
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

not had to do but I assume a repair install will be in order.

What Asus board did you get?

I am looking at building myself an i5 rig but I'm waiting for the new asus rog board to come out. Those i5s overclock better than the C2D infact they are the new C2D:D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Actually, you should be able to get away with starting in Safe mode and getting it to find the new hardware.
    Be conscious of the fact that if too much changes you may have to re-activate but generally speaking you should be fine.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. Raffaz

Not OEM mate, its downloaded from technet :D

Gotta P5Q-EM cheap off ebay and im gonna put my replacement gigabyte board on ebay :)
    Im not ready to go down the route of upgrading yet, theres no need for what i do, one of my mates at work has an i5 and loves it like. :)

Cool, il give that a shot:)

7. greenbrucelee

The P5Q is a very decent board, good luck with it.

8. Raffaz

Yeah, and a bargain for £35, new and boxed :)

9. greenbrucelee

lucky git :D

10. Raffaz

Just a further update regarding this.
    Ive now got my replacement asus board but im having the same issues. I basically get the mobo splash screen, it then goes to BIOS initialising. . . . and then monitor loses signal, othertimes the splash screen will flash briefly and then it loses signal.

Ive currently got the mobo built on PC desk with PSU, 1 stick of RAM, GPU and processor, ive tried different:
    RAM
    Mobo
    PSU
    Also connected to onboard graphics to eliminate GPU.
    Reset CMOS

Does this sound like my CPU could be causing the issue? I read somewhere to test the CPU by removing RAM to see if i get my post beeps and i got them so im completely baffled now, surely it cant be 2 dodgy mobos!

11. Raffaz

Further Update:

Ive connected keyboard and mouse and got to press F1 to load defaults before the screen went off again, totaly stumped :(

12. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It sounds like you've replaced almost every component, that it may be the CPU.

One thing though, have you tried booting up the PC without any drives connected to it (eg HDD, CD/DVD, etc), just to rule out a faulty/dodgy connection?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  13. Raffaz

No drives connected at all now mate, its only got the components listed above and is built outside the case on anti-static sheet to eliminate any shorts. Im thinking my CPU aswell but dont want to buy another in case its something else, was just hoping other people would be to offer a few more suggestions or confirm that they have had similar issues with a CPU.

Also wondering if anyone has RMAed a intel CPU and what the process was like as its the first processor ve ever had issues with.

14. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Out of interest did you flash the BIOS? If so then try removing the battery, once the battery is out remove the power lead from the pc, now leave it like that for approx 30 - 45 mins then replace the battery and power lead. Try to power it on.

Also if you have a jumper to reset the BIOS you may want to give that a try. It could be that the voltages in the BIOS are out and that's whats causing the issue (I had it where it was under volting some ram previously, caused all sorts of issues).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  15. Raffaz

Hi mate, BIOS has not been flashed and CMOS has already been reset as stated above :)

16. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Does it have dual bios chips? can you swap which bios you boot from?

17. Raffaz

Not sure if my board does but that isnt an option as i dont get as far as the BIOS as explained above. I can get to it very briefly and then loose my pic as monitor goes into standby. I also doubt it could be that on 2 seperate boards mate.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  18. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Have you actually taken out the video card and then tried the on-board graphics?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  19. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

By using the second BIOS chip (if available) would actually prove something, if you're getting to it very briefly then either it's a broken component (memory\cpu\HDD most likely) or a corrupt entry in the BIOS, that's actually why some boards these days have 2 BIOS chips.

Can you actually get into the BIOS or is it more of an OS issue? What happens if you try booting with a live cd\dvd of some sort (any Linux or Rescue cd)?

20. Raffaz

Done already mate, no change. :D

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010