Windows 7 and AV

Discussion in 'Software' started by marcin_rys, Aug 6, 2009.

1. marcin_rys

marcin_rys Nibble Poster

Hi All,

Has anyone experienced problem with system freezing after installing AV software on Windows 7 32bit (RC and "7600.16385.090713-1255")? I was trying couple AV (Kaspersky, Avast, Avg, etc) in trial version and had same results. After rebooting, system is loading up to Welcome screen and then freeze. In safe mode Event Viewer shows errors related to AV software. When uninstalled, system works fine. Most of AV vendors declare compatibility with Windows 7.

Any suggestions?

Marcin

Certifications: none
    WIP: MCSA, CCNA
  2. madman045

madman045 Kilobyte Poster

What are the errors specifically, are they in eventviewer?

Do you have UAC enabled or disabled?

I have used NOD32 V4 without any issues on the RC version of Windows 7, you could try a trial version of it

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, PRINCE2 Foundation, VCA-DCV & VCA-DT
    WIP: MCSA 2008, VCP5-DCV, ITIL V3
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, running NOD32 here, no drama. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. marcin_rys

marcin_rys Nibble Poster

I just tried NOD32, same story. I'm starting to suspect that my MB (Nvidia 680i) is not yet fully compatible with Win 7.
    I will test it on VMware and see how it goes.

5. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I'm running AVG on my system (Win7, but 64bit edition) with no problems. Is this a fresh install of Windows 7 on your machine? And just double checking, this is a version that was downloaded direct from MS? It's just that there are a couple of versions of Windows 7 doing the rounds that have been modified, and not in the good way either.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. marcin_rys

marcin_rys Nibble Poster

The RC is downloaded from MS, other not. Both are installed on new 60GB partitions.
    Some time ago I was testing 64bit, but drivers for my Wi-Fi card (Linksys WMP300N) were not compatible for 64bit. Windows update found drivers in Win Update but they never work correctly.

Marcin

7. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Then it may help to find out the exact error(s) that is generated.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security