Resolved Windows 2008 remote server snap in MMC

Discussion in 'Software' started by Slimzee, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Slimzee

Slimzee Bit Poster

Hello All

I have 2 windows 2008 servers, 1 of them is my DC. I want a link/icon on my second 2008 box to open up Active Directory.

What I am trying to achieve is simple but execution seems complicated, ive been googling this for ages, I know I need some sort of MMC snap in but I dont know how to link it to AD on the DC server.

I want to know how to do this as once I install MS Exchange 2007, I want to be able to manage that from other servers rather than having to log onto the exchange server everytime.

Thanks for any advise.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
    Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA, Windows 2008, Windows 7
    WIP: build my windows skills
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Make sure it's a member server, then insall RSAT.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816817(WS.10).aspx

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

It's quite simple really, you simply run the MMC command from a RUN prompt and you can create a snap-in that points to another server.

In the case of 2008/2008 R2, you can also explicitly enable remote management in hardened environments.

But what you seem to want to do, is able to use MMC's, or rather, the Exchange Management Console (EMC) from a non-Exchange server, to manage an Exchange 2007 server. Don't fret yourself over it, it's simpler than you think!
    Simply install the Exchange 2007 tools on the server that is NOT the Exchange server, and is the server you want to use as your management machine, and once installed, it will automatically find your Exchange organization through Active Directory, and thus let you manage your messaging servers. It's as simple as this.

The tools will also install the Exchange Management Shell (EMS), and this is the tool you really should be using as it gives you even more control ;)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  4. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  5. Slimzee

Slimzee Bit Poster

Thanks, that worked perfectly, I'll try the Exchange 2007 EMC remotely soon.

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA, Windows 2008, Windows 7
    WIP: build my windows skills
  6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Yeah, I forgot about Exchange, but you didn't, so cool. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada