Windows 2003 Server is utter crap!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fluid, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

This has got to be one of the worst operating systems i have ever seen in my life... iv used ME before and this just about comes below it, its absolutley disgraceful! Installed a clean version, then scanned the PC with GFI Languard around 40-50 vunrabelities started to show up. So i sat away for 2 pure days patching them up one by one. Now its all patched up its all going wrong, i get startup errors as it cant start up several processes such as anti-virus (using AVG pro) does not detect DVD drive and several other issues. Would it be better to use XP as an operating system for a server?

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Server for what?

XP Pro has many limitations which make life difficult to run too much on it as a server.

XP Home has even more limitations.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I've heard of computers with pre-installed operating systems coming from the factory with viruses but I don't recall ever doing a clean install and having an instant infection problem. Of course to apply all of the security patches after install, you either have to connect to the internet and get them from the Windows Update site or have the patches already waiting on a machine in the LAN (which is safer in a production environment) and get them from there.

I agree with Harry. XP won't do for many server roles and I suspect that whatever "got" the Windows Server 2003 would "get" an XP machine if it was installed and configured under similar circumstances. It's not the operating system itself that's the problem.

Have you verified that you've got a valid installation disk (that is, it's not a pirated copy)?

All that said, if you're really convinced that Windows Server 2003 is absolutely not something you want to work with, various Linux distros have been used in server roles for many years with no problems.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

its not a pirated copy no, i had to connect to the net using windowsupdate, but the problems kicked in from when i installed AVG Antivirus... downloaded it from their official site.

5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Personaly I'd use Autopatcher to get a newly installed machine reasonably up-to-date without putting it on the Internet.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Have you considered that it could be a problem with AVG then, these problems started after you installed that, so thats more than likely to be the cause. I use NOD32 on my server2003 with no problems. A free trial is available here www.eset.com

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

If it was AVG Professional you used. Then thats a problem right from word go. AVG Pro does not support Server 2003. If you want AVG on a server environment then you need something like AVG Network Edition.

AVG Anti-Virus Pro Compatibility

AVG Anti-Virus Network Edition Compatibility

Edit: Meh. Those links down load the compatibility pages. Click on 'Details and Compatibility' at the top of the product details.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You do know that AVG Pro isn't compatible with 2003 Server... don't you? Grisoft link

Thus... it sounds like your problems are resulting from a PEBCAK error. ;)

EDIT: Fergal beat me to it. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I actually quite like WS 2003... :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  10. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

ahhh ok thanks alot for the help lads! Another format it is :)

11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Sounds like you are using an RTM copy
    you are aware that there are TWO SPs for 2003 already? both of which can be slipstreamed into the media
    your also likely using a CURRENT version of GFI
    meaning the profiles are of exploits that could of been fixed years ago

Windows 2003 is one of the most stable and secure MS operating systems to date, provided you set it up properly and look after it

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  12. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

So windows became crap when you installed AVG. Now who is to blame, windows or AVG?
    It is a welknown fact that antivirus software wants to be active as early as possible, and windows does not like that. It is a fact that Norton did not run well on Vista, because norton would like to have direct access to the harddisk and vista prevented this.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  13. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

Whats an RTM copy?

14. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Release to Manufacturing

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  15. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I'm really not trying to troll here or sound patronising, but what utter nonsense. Come back when you have a few years experience of Server 2003 in a live network environment mate.

What he said ...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  16. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

No offence intended here fella but isn't that a bit like Theo Walcott saying Thierry Henry is a shite striker? You don't work with 2K3 Server, and most definitely haven't grown up supporting server OSes like NT & 2K, so you don't have much room for manoeuvre when cussing out MS' most stable OS ever.

FYI, XP can't be used as a Server (it's a workstation OS) other than a very basic file & FTP server.

Also, I note from earlier threads that you are using an AV client that doesn't support that OS, and are most likely running an unpatched copy of the OS as well. FYI, 2K3 Server has been out for about four and a half years now - surely you cant expect a commercial Operating System to go that long without requiring some major hotfixes and Service Packs?

Finally, I can install 2K3 Server - vanilla, from the original RTM, on a non-slipstreamed basis and have it patched and ready to roll in about three hours. In fact - I did just this very thing last week at work when our standard 2K3 image wasn't of any use to me - started at 09:30, finished at 13:00 - and that included a tea break. Not quite sure why it took you two days, maybe its because you lack the requisite experience with the OS to do it faster.

Like Modey said above, I'm not trying to be a smart-arse here, but perhaps you'd better chill and learn a bit more before cussing something out that you don't really understand yet. Otherwise you'll end up like one of those annoying tards who repeats 'Linux is better than Windoze' ad infinitum without knowing why - just to look cool. Or, worse still, a supercilious Mac user :x :x :x

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  17. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hey I take offence to that... I recently bought a Mac-mini. It loads faster than Windows. The interface is different, but nothing I can't get use to. Updating and installing programs/updates is a piece of p*ss, and after a long 4 days of using the damn thing (up to 2 hours a day) I've had to ring Apple cause it doesn't work anymore :lol: It's currently in a box waiting to be replaced :x If Apple wants to get a bigger base of users, including us in IT (especially us that trial and suggest IT equipment/software to buy) they're going to have to improve their stuff.

-Ken

p.s. Na, just kidding don't really take offence :biggrin

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  18. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Hey for the 4 hours it worked Ken, it was great! :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  19. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

right ok, i better do some learning. I have uninstalled AVG. The current software i have installed on it are:

Wireshark
    GFI Languard
    MSN Live
    Winzip
    Winrar
    Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 - with SP1 and all the update

Still though i keep getting an error saying windows couldnt not startup certain processes, please check even view, when i look at event view there are quite a few errors, and to be honest i havent got the foggiest what these errors mean :(

20. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

Also i forgot to mention another thing, when i go to Start then try and shutdown or reboot does options are not there its only "Log Off" and when i click Log off it logs me off and then says press CTRL+ALT+DLT, i do that then click on advanced there is a shutdown button there but it wont let me click it.... im kind of confused about that as well any ideas? Does features were there before, but suddenly dissapeared!!