Windows 2000 Track Exam Passing Scores

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by simongrahamuk, May 2, 2006.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

When I did my exams on W2K different exams had different passing scores, for instance I seem to recall that 70-210 (Windows 2000 Professional) had a passing score of 620.

Now when the latest exams on Windows 2003 came out they seemed to standardise the passing score at 700 points, but does anyone know if the 2000 exams still have different passing scores, or if they have been standardised at 700 points aswell?

:blink

2. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Hey Simon,

Couldn't tell you what the 2k exams are like now, but the 2003 exam i took about 6-8 weeks ago had several simulation questions.... came as a bit of a shock!

Passed, so i cant complain but i think thats a step forward :rolleyes:

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Yeah, I have to admit that I have taken and failed one of the 2003 track ones (not going to say which one) and found them to be a lot harder than on 2k.

I'm not looking at the difficulty, I'm just wondering if MS has changed its scoring across the board, or if the older exams still have different passing marks

8)

4. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

well, that's the big question. microsoft has not publically revealed the passing score for most of their exams.

5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

To tell the truth I believe that Microsoft has now standarised the pass mark at 700. I've taken several 2k & 2k3 exams over the last couple of years and on each one of them (the 620 pass mark must have been when it was first released?), they have stated that the pass mark is 700 (at the end of the exam). Granted, they haven't said how the weighting of each question is marked, but oh well, do we really care how much each question is weighted? At the end of the day it's the pass/fail mark. :D

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

you're right on the money with the 700 passing score, as i just found out. http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/faq/procedures.asp

"The new scale requires a minimum passing score of 700 on all exams. The maximum score on the exams will vary depending on the complexity of the skills being measured."

7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

not that it helps simon but i have seen a high 1020 (perfect score) after the guy used a braindump site so scores over a 1000 are possible! :blink
    but like the saying goes... a pass is a pass is pass! besides people will never find out your marks if they view your transcript just your pass/fail..

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

April 12th 2001 - Passing score 620, My score 640.

Just raked out an old score report, Thats the only one that I have with the score on, the rest are from the Pass / Fail time period!

9. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Ah the days of a passing score mark! :D

Bring em back i say.........!

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  10. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

They Have! :biggrin

11. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

I did several exams what had a pass/fail mark and feel that this is the best way of scoring exams.

12. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Why do you guys say that? and how does it actually work? i mean to me right now its a pass/fail - i mean one employeer says i want 270 - 900, 290-850 , 285- 700 etc etc... as long as you have the final certification from passing the exams i dont see the value of having scores! :blink

PS doesnt make sense but its 4am! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  13. GW

GW Byte Poster

I kinda like having the passing score because it gives you something to brag about, "Hey I passed with 900 points!" other than just "I passed!"; it's kinda like having a letter grade on your school papers, sure a "B" and a "C" are passing but they are not as good as an "A".

What I always liked was the bar chart on the page that tells you what areas that you did good in and what areas that you need improvement on. When I took a Microsoft exam that was a pass/fail it didn't have that so I couldn't see what areas I should brush up on outside of my own mental notes during the exam on questions I had problems with but what if I thought I was answering those questions correctly but totally screwed up on "Print Sharing" but aced everything else?

But I wouldn't like having an employeer using the scores to determine if you are good enough for the job, some people are good test takers and some are not. A pass is still as pass if you scored 700 points or 900 points.

What do you call the following:

Someone who passed all MS exams with 950 points each? - MCSE

Someone who passed all MS exams with 700 points each? - MCSE

Someone who got perfect scores by brainduming? - MCSE who is unemployed or soon to be unemployed.

GW

Certifications: MCP x4, CompTia x3
    WIP: Cisco CCNA