Win Media Player...pt 2...

Discussion in 'Software' started by noelg24, Aug 26, 2004.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Ok now I have done it...I was trying to use Media Player when an error message came up saying something like GetIUMS cannot be found on dynamic link library MSDART.DLL....or along those lines...anyway I thought ok I will remove this version of Media player and download version 9 from the MS website. how wrong I was....I am now trying to revert back to the old version but when I do its still showing as Media 9!!! altho the error message does not come up anymore. So I was wondering does anyone know where I can Windows Media Player 8? I am tired now and have to be up in like 5hrs for work and Lou wakes up in an hour so let me know and I will be grateful...thanks guys...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

IS ANYONE GOING TO HELP ME WITH MY PROBLEM? sorry for shouting guys...I think I am at the end of my tether once and for all. When I get home tonight from work I am going to wipe the HDD and re-install and I am not even going to back up my songs cos at the end of the day they are still on the Internet and I can download them again and most of the other songs I have on CD anyway so I can just copy them again anyway. and yes I am still getting that Windows Protection Files message but only during AGP installs (it keeps changing the res when I reboot the system :rolleyes: ) and I just left my PC on as it was downloading SP2...looks like that one will have to be put on hold til I reinstall...all those who finally agree with me? cos even Media Player 9 is still on the system when I thought I had gotten rid of it...well there's nowt better than re-installing when it makes it feel like a whole new system...:D

3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Just wondering why you removed wmp8?

Also system restore doesn't work too well after a longer time. It usually creates a restore point when you install anything new to the system and drops older restore points, so if you have installed many progs since wmp9 then the chances are the needed restore point is gone.

As for your wfp problem, exactly how is this making life difficult? Can you still boot into the system? Use the system normally? Do any specific programs trigger the warning? You mentioned the only unsigned drivers are for the graphic card, have you tried a driver rollback? Another option would be to get a partitioning prog, reduce the size of the main partition, create a new partition and copy all your needed data there, then do the reinstall. This will save you a lot of time finding everything on the net again (although a good opportunity to clean out the hdd).

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

I think you're probably heading down the right track, flatten it and start again. Once windows systems start to go seriously wrong I tend to end up starting again eventually, there's always debris from various fixes and installations left lying around which never inspires me with confidence that the thing will be ok for long. With all the problems you've been having it would probably be better if you put it out of it's misery and started again. Could you not get hold of a DVD writer, which are ridiculously cheap now, and archive a load of data to that?

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Trust me Phil if I could get hold of DVD writer I would...but try exlpaining it to my better half who just thinks I will do it to waste money...she never can understand the fundamentals of hardware as she deals mainly with software....and Nugget system restore stopped working ages before I installed WMP9....so I dont want to do another restore as it wont work anyway and as for WFP it doesnt cause any big problems...but the roll back driver is a good idea...but I think a clean re-install is needed..like Phil says there is always debris left around and you can never get rid of them completely...one question tho what is the best partition program I can download for free in the meantime? I might give your idea a try Nugget...thanks guys...

6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well I have decided to go for it and I am going to back up some stuff and just wipe my HDD and re-install....and this time I will make sure I do a partition and keep a back of the important things I need in case it happens again....so starting from tonight the PC is getting re-built as it were...but she needs a flamin face lift more than anything else...and that AGP card...its really getting up ar$e....I have so many programs that I have paid for that I dont want to lose them so they definitely need backing up...I tell you its been one hell of a week for me and my baby...daddy has not been taking well care of his cherub...mainly cos he has been distracted by her step mother (then again she never did have a mother to begin with) and yes I am talking about Lou...:rolleyes: is that it then? I think I have finally got that off me chest...now to get back to work cos I think my manager must be thinking I am up to something dodgy...:twisted:

7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

OK mate, go here for a shareware partition program. I don't know how it is (I use Ghost or Acronis stuff) but it should get you out of downloading all your stuff again.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Thanks Nugget...it looks like a decent move...but also I just remembered didnt there use to be a website where you could store files to any amount and retreive them again at any time? whatever happened to those?

9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

lol most of those sites went down with the dot com crash, as they had zip of a business model and relied soley on advertising

and it would take you an age to upload your stuff if you have any decent amount

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

oh well thank god for partition programs...

11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

just been home to try out the software to partition my HDD and I dont think the flaming thing worked...:x when it began it was showing my HDD and another 8MB of free space....no idea where that came from so I just gave up after 20min...I am now back at work so when I get home later on I am now going to wipe the whole thing clean...and at least that way I can just make sure that my PC runs very smoothly without any problems at all *touch wood* altho at least I have a few things saved onto CD over the past few months so I think I will be alright....theres also a few CDs full of songs too...so there is light at the end of this flaming tunnel...Lou says she might be going out for a works do tonight...I hope she does as the mood I am in right now not even a murderer would want to have a go at me....:twisted: ....here's hoping peeps...

12. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

most shareware partition programs allow you to do everything normally........... except ACTUALLY partition! it shows you how easy it COULD be to do!
    Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Yeah...I know what u mean Fergal...instead of telling me how I can partition it was telling something like make sure the drive is set to HD0 and set to EMBR....I mean what is that all about? I think I might try FDISK with the XP CD...is that possible at all? I just want to be sure...cos after I took the floppy disk out and rebooted the machine it said operating system missing!!! and thats when I really started to panic...what if I was to reinstall XP but partition the HDD without formatting the whole thing? In other words leave the stuff that is already on the disk and just make a partition of about 30GB (I have only used 20+GB of the 80GB) and then transfer the files over and just use that particular partition...or am I really losing it again?

14. Fergal1982

nope. fraid not. fdisk thats supplied with windows os's wont allow you to move a partition, only delete completely and reapply, causing you to lose your data! if it comes to it, you could humph your pc to a computer shop and have them move the partition for you. it'll cost you about 20quid im afraid. but its an option.

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  15. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well I dont care...this will be seen as a lesson in learning for me...so I am just going to wipe out the HDD and reinstall. its only the option...if the data goes..it goes...in the end thats life...and since I am not rich enough to afford UPS and other forms of backup or even get a DVD writer which I want so badly now they have the 16x ones out and very cheap too...I am just going to have to deal with partitioning my drive and making backups as I go along...talk about PC experience....

16. Fergal1982

good luck mate

17. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Its the PC that needs the luck...not me...damn I shouldnt have said that now I am doomed for sure....

18. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

you know at the end of the day I think this is a good way for us techies to learn from each others problems...altho I am good with hardware I know I am also good with broadband...and abit of software...so once muggins here gets his A+...then Net+...its MCSE...and thats what I call getting somewhere very slowly....cos learning about PCs isnt about how good you know the stuff its about the patience and consistency of of the problem itself...if that makes any sense...*waiting for someone to tell him to quit while he is ahead*...nope? I didnt think so...but let this be a lesson to all of you...hahahaha...ok I'll stop now. :oops:

19. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

i have about 6 200GB disks now, and i always have an empty one
    for times when disks (even the data disks) need to be wiped, i can just copy it all across to the empty one, format the used one, then copy stuff from one of the other 200gb disks, etc etc

currently doing that now while i migrate all the data to a BSD GEOM 200gb encrypted disk

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  20. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Yikes get him boys...ok Phoenix...I understand...I think I need to win the lottery now...