Win 7 on 03 domain grumbles

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by skulkerboyo, Mar 1, 2010.

1. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Anyone had problems? I'm unlucky I guess. Most companies have moved to 08 by now or have at least one server set up for testing.

First pain in the backside prob was the system being able to access but not see the internet. No connectivity message! This was fixed by manually adding our proxy in winhttp in netsh. Really shouldn't have to do stuff like that in this day and age.

Then my user profile became mandatory. Deleted and went again. Happened again. So I've added my domain account to the local admins and this seems to have fixed it. Is this all because I'm using a server 03 domain?

I'm sure I'll encounter more crud as the days go by. Other than that I'm totally in love with win 7:oops:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
    Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  2. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

They only issues we had were having to rewrite some of our policies to reflect Win 7 but it is only on a couple of machines as a test. Nothing like you are having that I am aware of though.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Many companies might have one or more 08 servers, but I don't think anywhere close to "most" have "moved to 08" entirely.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Strange one mate. Whats your firewall setup like? Is port 80 outbound blocked? That may have caused you some issues with Windows 7 when it tries to detect if it is a private\public\domain network.

Not seen this myself mate and I am running Windows 7 on a Server 2008 domain but previously on a Server 2003 domain. Is your user profile local or roaming?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Firewall off. Was getting out just could't figure out it was going through a proxy. Setting it in IE did nowt. Ended up using the netsh winhttp command to add it manually. Now it detects it!!

Now I'm having issues pulling drivers from the print server. Oh joy. Thank god I virtualised my main system to run in VMware. You never know how much you miss printing til its gone:biggrin

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yeah, you will need Windows 7 drivers on your print server.

In regards to the firewall I meant your company firewall. If it is configured to only accept web traffic from the proxy then it might be stopping the autodetect "feature" in Windows 7.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs