Win 7 EDST - Exam Retirement Confusion

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by djw, Feb 25, 2013.

1. djw

djw Nibble Poster

Hi,

Hope someone could clear a couple of things up with regards to the Win 7 Enterprise Desktop Support Technician certification.

1) Am I right in saying that if I wanted to upgrade from the MSDST by taking the 70-682 exam then I need to have don ti before 31st July 2013?
    2) If I have not passed the upgrade exam by 31st July (if that date is correct) then is the only way to get the certification to take the two seperate exams (70-680/70-685)? And do I have to have done this before 31st Jan 2014?

Hope this makes sense and thanks for the help.

D

Certifications: A+, MCDST
  2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Hi,

this would be news to me.

The only significance that I know of regarding that date, is that the MCITP certification (not exams) start to be retired. Though the client ones seems to have had a reprieve until Jan 2014. Even after this date there should be no problem - it means just being awarded MCSA instead of both MCSA and MCITP.

So, I would say that you should certainly be looking to try to pass before the beginning of next year (just in case...) but I don't see that these exams will be retiring anytime soon.

HTH.

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  3. djw

djw Nibble Poster

That is strange, I was browsing through the MS certification site and I found the following page:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/windows-certification.aspx

Seems to suggets that the 70-682 exam is being retired 31 July 2013.

You are correct about the 70-685/680, after I read the info correctly about these exams it just seems that your earn a different certification after passing them.

Thanks,

D

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  4. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Hmmm, yes, it seems that it does...

Sadly, but unsurprisingly, Microsoft have seen fit to omit this important information from the exam's own page...

Microsoft Learning 70-682

Not the first time their info conflicts!

Thanks for the 'heads-up' - I will add a sticky with the info... :)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
    Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
  5. djw

djw Nibble Poster

How annoying, seems like I am going to have to get a wriggle on if I want to take the 70-682 exam then.

Thanks,

D

6. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster