Win 2k3 Server Datacenter and VMWare

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by philbenson, Dec 11, 2006.

1. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Does anyone if there is a compatibility issue with installing a VM with Windows Server 2003 Datacenter edition?

I cannot get it to recognise the VMware ethernet controllers and hence unable to join it to my virtual domain. Standard and Enterprise work fine, just DC which is giving me hassle.

Help much appreciated...

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

have you tried installing the VMware tools?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Yes indeed - when the VM re-boots the Found new hardware wizard comes stright up and looks for a driver. When you insert the CD for VMware, it just comes up with the message that a driver cannot be found.

Not a huge problem cos I can still use Enterprise Edition with full network operability. I'm just curious to know why Datacenter seems to behave differently.

4. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

philbenson,

Which version of Windows Server 2003 Datacenter do you have?
    1. x86/32-bit
    2. X64/64-bit
    3. IA64

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  5. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Hi, other than its the R2 version I'm not sure. My PC has a P4 processor in it and it installs OK. I haven't set it up other than on an VM as yet so I don't know if it would recognise my 3com NIC or built in Intel Pro.