Win 2000 Server...........Assistance required PLZ

Discussion in 'Software' started by Greebo, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Greebo

Greebo Byte Poster

Where do I start :cry:

As you already know, I bounced the server last Thursday and it never came back up. Well, on Monday, a bloke came out and did a parrallel install, as it was the only way he could get it to bounce back. Right, server back up but software needs putting back on etc. I have none of the software, I assume that the N/W manager has it but I haven't seen him since the 12th March!!!!!!! All student folders etc still there but need their share status re-doing and the paths set because they have changed because the bloke re-named the server :eek: Ok, no major problems there really, at least the server is back up and the work is still present........................

I went thro all the student folders and set the shares and new path, time consuming but satisfying as it DID work at the end of it all. If I knew VBscript it would have been so much easier, I know before you tell me :roll:

Now then, today, a bloke from the LEA came in because the ADMIN network (LEA deal with the ADMIN side of things) had major problems with viruses etc, and he pratted with the server (stupid me asked him to look at something for me).

NOW, I have lost all the share's on the folders (need to set the shares up again!) and the common files cannot be located due to it looking in the wrong path (due to name change!) things look well screwed :cry:

You will know that I have had major problems since I started the job with lots of issues that have been caused by the initial configuration of the servers and the setting up of AD (the LEA did it!!!). I am well out of my depth but really need to at least get the system limping along until it can be sorted properly by people who KNOW what they're doing.

Please can anyone help me :?: This is really getting me down now. :cry:

2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Greebo, you could go a lot of this stuff with Group Policy. but that all depends on the way your active directory is set up. If you can supply a bit more info on your GP's OU's and file structure it would help. :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Sounds like a job for Phoenix.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Greebo

Greebo Byte Poster

AJ, it is a total mess mate. It was set up badly in the first place. Alot of conflicting policies, things not working as they should, etc etc etc. Its been a nightmare but I'm a fighter.......................so I've stuck in there as it were. I'm starting to wear down now tho. Can't seem to get on top of things.Got one teacher in my face all the time and I'm gonna drop him if he starts on me tomorrow :evil:

I need to limp it thro until this company can come and sort it out (ie. set it all correctly, like it should have been done last summer!!!!!!!) THEN, I just MIGHT have the time to actually learn about win 2000 server :cry:

5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Greebo, maybe you can get it through to the school break coming up soon and then over the break do a complete re-install and build it up stepwise and properly when there aren't many users affected. This way you learn, it gets done properly and you know exactly whats going on. Just a thought. :roll:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. AJ

I know what these teachers are like. Just politely inform hin that the is actually the Network Managers job, not yours and then tell him to keep his stupid face out of it. :D

7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

AJ, is that before or after slapping him silly :?:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  8. AJ

During Nuggs, during

9. Greebo

Greebo Byte Poster

Yeah, I know its not my fault mate, but FFS, the kids are suffering as they can't get on the n/w, and then if they do get on, they can't save their work, etc etc etc etc etc.

The only thing I've had any success with is the Internet filtering.

I always feel that I am taking one step foreward, and three steps back :( I cure one thing and then several other problems arise. I feel Sooooooo outta my depth :cry:

How do I get a default profile back on a machine? I thought it would be created when a machine was booted :oops: I've had to delete profiles from machines due to low disk space and now when a new kid tries to log on, it won't let them saying something about profiles :(

10. AJ

ok profiles np. make everyone use a mandatory profile and they will not be able to save stuff on their desktop etc therefore saving disk space. Users will have data stored in their profile so they will complain that they've lost it, and then you will be able to retreive it and put it into theur home folder. I'll look out the links for you tomorrow to show you how to do it.

11. Greebo

Greebo Byte Poster

Thanx m8. Dunno why things weren't done that way in the first place. Would make it so much easier. Really not looking forward to going in tomorrow :(

The kids can't save in any other place than their home folder anyway, so why keep profiles on machines :?:

12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

the server name thing shouldnt be too much of a prolem, just fiddle with dns and make a pointer
    that should tide users over while you manually edit stuff if you like, then remove the dns pointer

that is, if im understanding your problem correctly

I dont however thing rebuildin the domain during the holidays is the way to go, in all fairness, and i mean no disrespect to you here greebo, its pretty simple to set up an AD, its another feat all together to get a production AD running with x amount of users correctly configured and implemented, with your level of experiance, i would perhaps spend a ton of time during the holidays playing with test configs and see what yo u can get working, try out new group policies, correctly structure your OUs etc
    all that can be done with the free time, but reccomend not starting from scratch

you will gain a whole lot more experiance fixing problems than tearing things down and starting again, and the majority of places dont let you pull the AD down whenever there is a problem!!

also who the hell is this network manager, who does he work for, how the hell is he still employed by anyone if you havnt seen him since the 12th of march? i would make it a mission of mine to confront him, and sort things out, or contact the appropriate superiors

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  13. Greebo

Greebo Byte Poster

We are getting a company in to sort it all out mate, the problem is that we need things resolving NOW to at least limp thro til the end of term! The company will also be able to support me with issues that are way above my understanding at the present time.

As regards the N/W manager, don't get me started. He's off sick :roll:

14. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

If he's the one who set everything up to start with, then he's a very sick man indeed. I think he's probably milking the 'sick' issue to avoid coming back as long as possible. :evil:

15. AJ

Hi there Greebo

Here's the link Mandatory Profiles

You will have to do a bit to make sure the kids and staff can get to the software they need and that it is either on the desktop or the start menu.

16. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

If I am reading your above post right there Greebo you have deleted the default user profile from a client machine and now when ever a new user try's to log on, they get an error that references 'profiles'.

If this is the case then try copying the default user profile from another machine, might work for you but I have never tried it myself.

Where does the whole situation stand at the moment and what do you need to get working first????

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  17. Greebo

Greebo Byte Poster

Thats a good question mate :roll: Profiles is quite an important issue as kids unable to log on to some machines, so I'm gonna have to try and put that pesky default profile back in somehow :oops:

Got the shares sorted and the path to common files works, albeit different to how it did :lol:

Thank F*** its Friday :D

Think I will spend the w/e reading about AD :rolleyes:
    Think of me eh :eek: