Will you still recommend CompTIA?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Sparky, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Now that candidates have to recertify every three years or pay a subscription (or whatever it is) to keep their certs up to date will you still recommend the A+, Network+ etc. to new forum members who ask where to start with their certs?

I’m still undecided.... :hhhmmm

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Lol I just asked this question on the other thread.....

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. Sparky

LOL!, just noticed that! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  4. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

I think I might. It would not be so bad if you knew going into it that you need to renew these certs every three years. Stings a bit for those (myself included) who have had these certs for a number of years though.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc
  5. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I can see the benefits of reading the books and actually getting hands on experience of taking a machine apart or building a little network. However, unless they really, really need the certificate as dictated by their employer then I would say No.

It's too expensive for what it is when it involves recertification. It is entry level, a first rung on the IT certification ladder for many people that they've been willing to fund, and they then move on, very often into CISCO or MS certifications leaving the CompTIA behind.

6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I have never recommended CompTIA, I think I will continue that tradition.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  7. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

The A+ is more valuable than the Network+, So the A+ may be worth it but i would say the N+ is not.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  8. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

what makes you say that?

personally i'd say the A+ (not that i've sat/studied either, but from the topics that i've read) is a 1/5 of that the N+ is (in terms of the average person sitting down and learning

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  9. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

What I would like to know is why ComPTIA believe that Sec+ is higher level than A+ and Net+ insofar as it actually recertifies the other two.

10. Sparky

Yeah, that is just crazy.

For me that makes this whole recertify idea from CompTIA nothing more than a money making idea rather than improving the value of the cert.

How does Security+ relate to the A+ again?!! :rolleyes:

11. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

No thanks I wont bother wasting my time recertifying my A+. I have no idea why the sec+ counts for A+ and N+ other than perhaps they thought they were taking the p**s too much making people recertify everything!!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  12. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Well the A+ covers everything which is great for a starter. I have looked over the N+ and to me it does not seem worth doing. Just go straight to MCDST etc

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  13. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I'd recommend only the Security+ and thats only as long as MS continue to recognise it in their MCSA/MCSE exam track. I'd tell anyone to get it the once and as much as I enjoyed the materials, never bother to recertify it as you will have learned all you need to if you pass it the 1st time. Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  14. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I'm just a 70-291 and an N+ away from my MCSA so for me, personally, I would recommend CompTIA exams right now for those in a similar situation. If you are just starting out I am still undecided.

As a side note, as I would like to achieve MCSA:S I may well sit the S+ although with the renewal policy coming in to play I may well sit the MCP equivalent instead. If I sat the S+ after achieving my MCSA and passed, would I drop back from MCSA:S to MCSA again due to the renewal policy imposed by CompTIA? Also would the same rule apply I assume for those using A+ and N+ for their MCSA elective?

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  15. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Of course. It's still the most widely recognized entry-level certification organization. You'd be doing forum members a disservice by not recommending something that could help them get a job simply because you don't like the fact that they require recertification. Cisco requires recertification every three years, and that hasn't stopped me from recommending Cisco certifications to those people who are working with Cisco technologies. Regardless of how you feel about the recertification process, it's still a valuable certification.

16. Sparky

Fair point, but what about people that have already paid for the exams but technically would have to recertify if we wanted to keep the A+\Network+ legitimately? One of the selling points for the A+\Network+ was the fact that it would be a case of taking the exams once and then it’s done and dusted.

Now this has all changed.....

I don’t expect to see any job adverts asking for a valid A+ tbh although you do see adverts for candidates to have a valid Cisco qualification.

17. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I'll still be recommending people to study for them to gain the knowledge but leave it up to them if they want to sit the exam or not.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  18. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I think the point is exactly that
    its an entry level cert
    not a career cert

unless you plan on doing desktop support / roll outs etc forever, then will it still be relevant when recert times comes round? I didn't even recert my CCNP/CCDP because I just don't have the time, or the inclination, I have the skills, I can use the products and technologies, but my job is too varied to recert everything I'm qualified in

so I don't

and A+, seriously, i don't even list it on my resume anyway, have not done since the bloody 90s :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  19. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I never made my decision on whether to get A+ certified based on whether it was "for life".

20. Sparky

Yeah, but it was "for life", now its not.

Personally I would have liked CompTIA to release a revised A+\Network+ (slighty different name perhaps) and from that exam onwards it requires recertification.