will this work?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Paul_o, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Paul_o

Paul_o Nibble Poster

just got a new adsl wireless router so have a spare old one. plan is to take it round my dads and plug my brothers cable modem into one of the ethernet sockets and connect via wireless laptop. sounds good to me but will it work?

Certifications: C&G Advanced diploma in network support
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

We had a thread about this a while ago. It wont work as your cable modem cant be patched into the WAN port of the ADSL modem, RJ45 into RJ11 aint gonna fit. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Paul_o

Paul_o Nibble Poster

i thought it would as all i am doing is unplugging it from the nic in the pc and plugging it into the ethernet side of the router

Certifications: C&G Advanced diploma in network support
  4. Sparky

Yeah, you can do that but it will all be on the LAN, you need to patch the cable modem into the WAN port of your router which is a RJ11, it wont fit. :cry:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

What you need is a wireless AP (Access Point), not a router. They look very similar but perform different tasks.

The router will be trying to route packets destined for the *Internet* out through it's telephone line connection (RJ11), which wont work because it expects to see, authenticate with, and sync to, an ADSL enabled telephone line.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

i think his intentions are to take the RJ-45 out of the cable modem and into the RJ-45 port of his wireless router.

thus bypassing the wireless routers internet connection and using the unit as a hub and wireless access point

then he wants to connect wirelessly into the hub/access point from the laptop.

this MIGHT work if he can get teh router to use one of its outputs as teh routers default gateway

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The snag is that the routing function, along with NAT, will have been lost.

As cable routers are so cheap I don't see the point of doing this.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. Sparky

He can patch it in but it wont work mate.

The cable modem will pass through its WAN IP to the switch part of the ADSL router. He then patches in the laptop and it gets a LAN IP, how is the traffic meant to route?

If you bypass the routers internet connection you are missing the whole process of it using NAT to pass all the LAN traffic outbound through the WAN port which in this case is a RJ11 as it is ADSL.

To get this to work he needs one of these....

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/48546

Patch the cable modem into it and its happy days. :biggrin