Wiki setup

Discussion in 'Software' started by westernkings, Jan 5, 2009.

1. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any experience setting up wiki software on a server ?

I am looking to set-up a Wiki so that the company I work for can use it to compile various information in one place without the use of various Word Documents and Excel Spreadsheets.

Ideal situation would be a link on the Intranet site linking to the wiki where all the information regarding the daily and weekly checks is available.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Last place used http://twiki.org/. Loads of em about.

Install guide here :-

http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/TWiki/TWikiDocumentation

3. westernkings

I can google mate, I was looking for specific reviews of such software from personal experience. :rolleyes:

Anyway guys, Update.

Apparently Sharepoint comes preloaded with wiki software ? anyone have any ideas on it ? any experience with it ? is it easier to just acquire some other wiki software ?

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Sharepoint services is available for windows servers and is sort of wiki like, they both do similar things with online collaboration. I setup a team website for work using it and setup my own sub-site for keeping track of what I'm up to.

I installed twiki yesterday to have a play with, thinking about using it to store external notes for the nagios hosts and services. I installed it into Suse Linux and it was pretty easy, I'm working on getting my head round how to best set it up for our use, or whether to just use Sharepoint.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  5. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

Hey Westernkings,

I've set one up recently internally for our company. It was pretty quick and painless to do really; looks the business and works really well.

I used Media Wiki HERE

So internally staff just need to type machine-name\wiki into a browser to gain access.

If you don't already have a web server and database a really fast and painless way to get this all set-up would be to use XAMPP (Apache web server, MySQL, PHP, and phpMyAdmin)

Hope this helps!

Mercury

Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
  6. westernkings

I just setup a couple of pages this morning on sharepoint and it seems like it's a decent bit of kit. Can you put internal page links to different parts of the same documents like in Wikipedia ?