Wii Fit

Discussion in 'Gamers Hangout' started by twizzle, Sep 18, 2008.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

WHY OH WHY OH WHY????

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Why what? I personally can't wait to get my hands on one.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Didnt help me loose weight! ........ But i did eat it.

update.. joke i dont own one really

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  4. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I got mine Monday, and four days in i hurt! I'm not a keep fit fan, but i do enjoy the balance games. Managed to get 175m on one run of the ski jump tonight for a toatl of 301m.

Some of teh yoga poses almost make me fall into the TV and the muscle work outs...... nothing to be said there!

I been looking to get one for ages, then 2 weeks ago i was at me parents and my dad was using the one they'd bought, so i thought if he could do it so could i. Now for the last 4 nights me and teh g/f have done half hour each per night. Aiming for 2lb in 2 month, just wish it would say if thats a good goal or too easy.

5. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Looks like it's doing its job well! :)

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  6. fsimeta

fsimeta Nibble Poster

I used it for a while at first, and seem to have forgotten it's there! Bet there are some people grumbling who can't get one.

To be honest, it made me think about my diet and I cut out some fats and snacks and lost a stone within a month and a bit. So even though it may not have been the Wii Fit that made the physical difference, it certainly made me think about what I'd been doing to my body.

I love the running though and some of the muscle exercises.

Certifications: Comptia A+, Comptia Network+
    WIP: MCP, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  7. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

In all honesty - I prefer real exercise. Doing weights, going for runs etc. You can't do that kinda stuff with Wii Fit...

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  8. Matthew Tailor

Matthew Tailor Banned

Wii fit is quite alot of fun although i dont really like the way nintendo are holding back copies to create demand for the game. Currently on ebay the game is selling for £100 which is well above the RRP of £69. Its just crazy!!

Certifications: MCSD, MCPD
    WIP: MCPD 2008 (3.5)
  9. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I got mine for £90 from Game ina deal package. It came with a silicon sleeve (the bobles on that give you a nice shiatsu massage while you use it) and a 1GbSD card plus free postage.

I have seen them on Play.com and Amazon for over £150 on thier own!

10. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

would love one, but can't afford it at the moment...

...in fact it feels like I can't do anything at the moment sob. sob...

It's going to be such a stunning weekend and I am totally at a loss for what to do...parents are on holiday abroad...sister is on holiday abroad....husband has gone on a lads biking weekend...totally abandoned :( I left it too late to arrange things with my mates so am banging my head against the desk already and it isn't even the end of work....

got a whole load of violins playing at this end :( Waaaaaaaaa! :biggrin

How's you anyways?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

You could always go for a nice long walk on your own over the weekend :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

You could do a server rebuild at home.:twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  13. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

I'm a big exercise enthusiast. Did the Bristol half marathon last weekend. Any of you guys there?
    For those that remember my hand has been in a splint so I was unable to train for it or anything for that matter. Splint came off 7 days before so went out for a test run and decided to just give it a go despite not training.
    I actually got a personal best of 1.55. I know its not exactly super quick but I am basically a 15st(carrying a bit extra because I couldnt exercise but I'm normally 14 to 14.5) weightlifter so people are quite surprised when they find out I'm a keen runner. My preferred distance is 10k.

Wii fit is great fun and I have a friend who had lost a reasonable amount weight on it but they also put it back on cos they stopped using it.:rolleyes:
    As for weight loss goals. 2lb a week is considered the safe limit. Depending on your starting weight.
    Over 2 months I'd aim for 6-8lbs if serious weight loss isnt your aim. Some people myself included can gain or lose 2lb just from water retention because of factors like alcohol or high sodium diet. Cutting carbs can shed up to 4lb in one week just because the carbs make you carry water. This however isnt weight loss in the same sense as fat loss and you will put those few pounds back on very easily unless you stay carb restricted inwhich case you'll end up in Ketosis(think atkins).
    Weigh yourself last thing at night then first thing in the morning. You will most likely see a variance of 2lb anyway. Waffle ends

For fun its fab and hopefully a few people will actually go out for a real run because of it or join a gym but in the meantime I'm happy that nintendo seem to be doing something fun and encouraging exercise. These are dark days for health as we've never had it so easy/lazy.

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  14. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

:D Cheers for the suggestions. Tomorrow is fine - I've booked in for a day course on Excel (just because). It's the evenings - just seems a shame that I can't be out with my mates enjoying the sunshine and a drink or two. Ah well. My best mate is having a go - saying that If i'd had given people more than half a days notice they would be up for it! (most of them live a good few miles away).

Anyway, enough ranting.

Not really been on here much lately (actually have work to do these days- lol) how are you?

15. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Sometimes it's better to aim for a loss of as little as 1 - 1/12lbs a week as different body's react differently - some prefer the slower weightloss and are able to adapt to/ cope with that a lot better than the 2lb mark.

16. skulkerboyo

Yup 2lb is considered safe but it can be a shock to the system when you consider the amount of excercise and or calorie restriction required to do it. I dread dieting:cry: I prefer to up the exercise but that just makes me hungrier lol

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
  17. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

LOl. Then you have to exercise more to counter-act the 'hunger'...then you put on muscle (which you probably don't mind) then it becomes a viscious circle because the scales tell you you are heavier due to the extra muscle...

18. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Eurgh... all this health talk is going over my head, but then again I'm one of those annoying people that sits at the ideal weight (according to BMI) and can eat what they like without putting on anything.

*running away now*

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  19. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You're scrawny, boy!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  20. skulkerboyo

Lol yeah dont mind the muscle bit. I have scales that do a decent job of giving you your bodyfat and water so I just go by that usually

Wii fit puts me in the obese range despite being around 14% bodyfat just because it uses BMI. It made my Mii extra fat to reflect what it found as well :biggrin

I had a major kidney function scare a while back as well. I had heart surgery -yes- to correct an irregular heartbeat and after they gave me blood tests. They were diturbed by my kidney values so until I could see a consultant i had to undergo a raical lifestyle change.
    Turns out they measure your kidney function by comparing your creatinine (not to be confused with creatine guys) with your urea levels in your blood. If the values are off they can work out how your kidneys are performing. Or so they say.

What they dont take into account is that creatinine levels are elevated in people with higher levels of muscle as its sort of a byproduct of your body breaking down creatine phosphate for energy. So more muscle more creatinine.

They use BMI as opposed to a real world physical assessment to compare all these figures and based on my weight and height assumed i was an obese adult male in the throes of renal failure!!!

The consultant took one look at me, cocked an eyebrow, asked me if i exercise alot then told me I was fine and explained about how they measure it then apologised for the hassle but would do a follow up blood test with my notes amended.

I went three bloody months without a beer:cry: because of bloody BMI. Oh sure generally its a good way of assessing a persons physical state but I got beef with BMI and if I ever see him around these parts.......