Wifi Safety

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by Rosie1, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Hi,

Forgive me if I raise this issue, as no doubt I'm sure it has been the point of countless discussions, concerning wifi safety.

I've been using a traditional ADSL 10/100 connection, but find that I now need to expand Internet use to two other computers. Life would be obviously so much easier if I could go wireless to facilitate this.

Can anyone recommend where I can research the latest findings regards wifi safety?

Many thanks. Much appreciated.

Rgds

Rosie

Certifications: A+, CIW foundation
    WIP: CIW Site Designer
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If this is for your home then is not the standard encryption of the IP addresses etc not ok for you?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Hi,

Thx for your response. Forgive me as I know little about this. Yes, it is for home - Are you referring to ICS or proxy?

Rgds

Rosie

4. greenbrucelee

You will have an SSID which will identify all of the PCs on the wireless network you can set this not to be broadcast this will be an option with the software you get whilst setting up the wireless network. (SSID must be the same on all PCs this is normally set by you)

You can then encrypt using WPA2 which should be an option with the network software, it was with mine, then obviousley you should have your standard firewall.

Thats as far as I know about wireless networking because thats how mine was set up but because I live in an area where there is bad signals I reverted back to a proper ADSL connection.

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

However, the SSID can still be "sniffed" out of the air, even with encryption turned on... the SSID is sent in clear text.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. greenbrucelee

Using WPA2 should provide better security should it not? better than WEP anyhow.

7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hi Rosie1

If you are talking about WiFi safety regarding radiation then perhaps the following will help.

I work in a private school and this very subject was quite a live wire a few months ago. The above was quoted from a Physics teacher after a certain Panorama prog.

Basically, you are more "at risk" from your mobile phone than wireless radiation.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Having seen AJ's response - I have to ask "What do you mean by safety?".

Radiation hazard? In which case AJ debunks things nicely.

Break-in/encryption hazard? Then ditch WiFi and wire it.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

now now harry, anyone that paranoid would need to surround their home in copper wire otherwise I could just sniff the EM emissions from your monitor!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

What about the tin-foil? <giggle>

Seriously - these days most in-town locations are overlapping badly. The throughput will decline, and opportunities for break-in will increase.

If you don't like cables(or the better-half is complaining) then look at Homeplug.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  11. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Hi everyone,

thank you all so much for your responses.

Regards what aspect of safety - health risks and encryption. Technology moves along quickly and it's trying to keep up. Everybody has their own opinions and it's weighing up the balance.

In terms of 'war driving', if that's the correct term, I live in the countryside in a village location (not that it would completely rule out violation) so perhaps the risk may be minimal.

In terms of health safety, I've heard that some people suffer (member of my family complained of headaches when they had their wifi in use). Like anything new, I guess it may be that it hasn't been around long enough to get a true picture. However, where children are concerned, is it worth the risk?

Thank you again. I'll utilise your guidance. Very kind.

Rgds

Rosie

12. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

just use common sense :)

that it WPA2 +Hide SSID +Mac filtering.

I know that all that can b broken but honestly - if someone want's ur internet that badly - let him :)

oh and btw - WiFi will NEVER be secure

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  13. greenbrucelee

I also live in the country side and because of poor Wi-Fi signals, must be the hills n stuff I went back to proper ADSL wired connection.

14. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

do you already have the hardware or would a recommendation be your next question ?

if you already have the hardware let us know and we can advise the best way to secure it.

As said wireless will never be 100% secure there will always be a way to crack it. Your best bet would be WPA2 and MAC filtering, although i'm not to sure hiding the SSID will do much because it can easily be sniffed and it may cause you problems trying to connect to the access point. WEP is the most basic form of encryption which will keep people from wardriving your connection but only takes minutes to crack where as WPA and WPA2 takes much longer.

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  15. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Hi,

Thx all ever so much. No, haven't bought hardware yet; thought it best to page the oracle.

Haven't heard of Homeplug until now. Did a wee bit of sniffing on the Net, and spoke to a supplier, but may be biased, of course. I'm intrigued. Can anyone enlighten me as to how it compares to wifi in terms of efficiency and the other sub topics that we've covered. Does anybody on the forum utilise this?

Rgds to all, really appreciated.

Rosie

16. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

obligatory wikipedia answer - homeplug :tune

these are the sorts of speeds you'll be looking at.

14Meg Homeplug adapter: 7.5Mb/s
    85Meg Homeplug Turbo adapter: 25Mb/s
    200Meg Homeplug adapter: 40Mb/s
    54g Wifi - 14Mb/s

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  17. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

I'm a recent convert (this week) to homeplug and it is, imo, the giraffe's genitals. It does everything it says on the tin, including the one minute setup time. Simply plug an ethernet cable into a spare port on your router, plug it into the adaptor (looks just like a normal electrical plug) and plug it onto an electric socket. Plug in the other adaptor anywhere in the house, plug an ethernet cable into that, run it to laptop/PC. Bingo, job done! 8)

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  18. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Hi,

Thkq for those responses. Does sound interesting. May have solved my dilemma.

Really grateful to you and much appreciated.

Rgds

Rosie

19. klospros

klospros Nibble Poster

Hi Rosie,
    As regards powerline adapters I work for BT and they have just started using them to connect there Vision Boxes. They are made by a company called Comtrend and need no configuring at all just plug them both in wait 10-30 secs for lights to go green and one to act as master then plug in the ethernet cables = finished:). They can be expensive if you needed a few of them so I would look into wireless and compare prices before taking the plunge

Certifications: A+ 2006, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE
  20. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Hi,

Thanks so for the info. From snippets I'm picking up, sounds like these plugs may do the trick. I'm trying to work out whether to aim for an 85mb or 200mb. We use webcams, I hope to do web development, and poss we may utilise online film/gaming.

Any opinions?

Rgds

Rosie