Problem WIFI Card problems

Discussion in 'Networks' started by rockstar007, Oct 3, 2011.

1. rockstar007

rockstar007 Bit Poster

I currently have a Pro/wireless 3945ABG Wireless network card installed on a laptop using Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit this works well but wanted to upgrade it to an n wireless card.

I have bought a pro/wireless 4965AGN and fitted it to the laptop and updated the drivers using the intel update utility and everything is upto date. The 4965AGN is in devivce manager and in properties says that the device is working properly. The device also says that it is enabled in network connections. The problem is that it does not appear in IP config and therfore does not see any networks. I also had this same problem when trying to conncet using a wireless N usb Adapter.

I have reseated the card and removed and relaoded the drivers and still no joy. Does any one have any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks in advance

Dave

2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I take it you mean you have no entry for the card in ipconfig, what about in the networks window within vista itself is it listed in there.

What router do you have is it wireless-N enabled?

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. rockstar007

rockstar007 Bit Poster

Yes it is listed in the networks window within vista itself and says that it is enabled but is not listed in ipconfig. My router is a Billion BiPAC 7800N Dual WAN ADSL2+/Broadband Wireless-N. I have other devices connected to it.

I can find no networks yet i know there are many there and i think the main reason is that it does not apperain the ipconfig list but do not understand why or how this can be if it is listed in the devive manager as working.

Dave

4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Ok, Something silly to check then If you click on the properties of the connection within the network settings you do have all the right protocols installed and enabled dont you.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  5. rockstar007

rockstar007 Bit Poster

Yes sorry should have said i have checked them. I have tcp/IPv6 and v4 ticked and everything else.I have worked for quite a while to solve this sissue myself and have explored all the obvious things! Could there be a compatibility issue with vista i have checked but there dosen't seem to be any on the intel website.

6. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

can you post a few screen grabs of the dev manager, networks screen and ipconfig?

7. rockstar007

rockstar007 Bit Poster

ok will do but laptop is at home so will post later

8. rockstar007

rockstar007 Bit Poster

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

On laptops there is often a function key that turns off wireless. Are you sure it hasn't been switched off?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. rockstar007

rockstar007 Bit Poster

Yes the wireless is on using the function key. As explained at the top the same thing happened with a wireless usb n adapter i tried to install. Yet i installed the adapter on a desktop and it worked perfectly. It all seems very odd.

11. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Would there be anything in the BIOS in regards to enabling the wireless? Just an idea depending on the laptop brand.

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  12. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I take it that your wired connection works ok, and what about putting the old card back in the laptop does it work?

13. rockstar007

rockstar007 Bit Poster

Yes the old card works when swapped back in and the wired connections works. I thought that the card was faulty and so have had a replacement from the vendors. This card has the same problems as the prevoius card. I can only think that there must be some compatibility issue.