Wierd login problem

Discussion in 'Networks' started by OffSide, Dec 7, 2004.

1. OffSide

OffSide Nibble Poster

Hi there,

A wierd problem that I have never come across before, has suddenly just appeared in my small network.
    The network is a collection of 3 desktops and 1 Laptop acting as clients and a Desktop with win2k server installed acting as the only DC. DHCP,DNS server in the network.

The problem is this :
    I can log into any of the desktops with the admin account, but cant when using new created users.
    network connectivity is not an issue as I have checked using TCP/IP usual utilities : all computers on the same subnet, belong to the same Domain,can renew /release IPS.the whole lot.

I am puzzled by this .. could it be a corrupted AD ? or a GP in place thats preventing me from logging ?would appreciate your help.

Peace and Groove armada !

Certifications: N+ MCP 210
    WIP: MCSE
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

try rejoining the clients to the domain.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Are you getting any error messages in event viewer on the DC or on the workstations. You might want to turn on auditing for successful and unsuccessful logons and see what events are being generated.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. OffSide

OffSide Nibble Poster

I will set up auditing to on to see.

5. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Is that the local or domain admin account?

6. OffSide

OffSide Nibble Poster

@sandy it's the domain admin account.

just a little update ;

after an ipconfig I have noticed that apipa has kicked in, which lead me to think that the dhcp server was playing up. I then restarted the service, renewed the desktop ips and it works now.
    still dont really understand what happened tho, would be grateful if someone could shade some light on this wierd problem

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

APIPA kicked in, well that would explain things Offside :biggrin

So what happened? Well, for some reason you lost connectivity with the network and your clients were unable to renew thier IP address leases. As you know in this case they will assign themselves a basic IP config using the 169.254.x.x range.

Because you had logged in previously as the domain admin on your clients, you were able to log in again using cached credentials. You do not need to have the DC up and running to be able to log into a client as long as cached credentials exist.

Because the new user accounts had not logged in on the clients before there were no *cached credentials* and so the logon process failed.

What you should learn from this, is the FIRST thing to check is your IP configuration and connectivity using PING. Every other fault finding step should follow these!

Glad it is now resolved,

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. OffSide

OffSide Nibble Poster

now it makes sense . thanks bluerinse like your style (:

9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

this is untrue
    the first thing you want to check is the CABLE!
    i have spent many an hour at a lan party running trace routes, pings, and other troubleshooting devices to ahve a friend hold up a cable end and go 'err. lets not mention this to anyone'
    hehe :)
    glad you got it fixed Offside, and good explanation by bluerinse

i think APIPA is a bad thing, id rather have the network icon flash as 'disconnected' or something due ot having no ip address, than getting an automatic one that gives just as little connectivity, but hides all the obvious warning signs! :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. OffSide

OffSide Nibble Poster

@phoenix I have read somewhere that APIPA can be turned off but changing a registry entry.

11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Here's how.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  12. OffSide

OffSide Nibble Poster

thanks tripwire appreciate the link